• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL 1st quarter $152M loss!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah exactly. When 85% of the seats were filled in March. Something doesn't smell right.

Dude, UAUA was cash flow positive, paid off $1.4 B in debt, threw in an accounting trick with the frequent flyer miles (resulting in a larger loss), and is in negotiations with the pilots over contract changes.
They pulled out all the stops to post bad numbers.

Prediction : With fuel prices where they currently are, insert DL for UAL in about 6 months...
OR JB!?
Of course they're already in the headlines, between the bad weather fiasco(s) and the 6 consecutive quarterly losses.

Hey Wiiliam.
How many consecutive losses of 300 million each did Delta post between Sept 2001 and the time they filed chapter 11?? Quite a few more than the 6 consecutive quarterly losses that JB recently posted,if I remember correctly. Have a good weekend ...tool!

PHXFLYR

Hey Wiiliam.
How many consecutive losses of 300 million each did Delta post between Sept 2001 and the time they filed chapter 11?? Quite a few more than the 6 consecutive quarterly losses that JB recently posted,if I remember correctly. Have a good weekend ...tool!

PHXFLYR
Ceasar:
DL lost more money than you've been through boyfriends.....Fortunately for us, that's all behind (Like HPilot is with you)!:blush: ;)
Fortunately, it only took us 1 trip to BK to turn things around, not like the 3 combined trips of your company!

Fortunately, it only took us 1 trip to BK to turn things around, not like the 3 combined trips of your company!

Delta is serving you bubbas some strong Koolaid. Or is it just giddiness from the big check you got for the pension?

Whichever it is, Delta has yet to post some good numbers. I'll call it a turn around when we see profits higher than SWA in good economic conditions. Haven't seen that yet.

And, by some indications, the down cycle is coming in fast.

Yep, I agree. And I expect it to be long and ugly. We've had a great economic expansion, but it is now waay long in the tooth.

"The company cut its costs per average seat mile, a key industry barometer, by 4.3 percent from the first quarter of 2006 while operating cash flow increased 38 percent to $626 million."

Hey Wiiliam.

And it lead to a bankruptcy filing, but things are much better today.

"Delta's operating profit for the March 2007 quarter was $155 million, the company's fourth consecutive quarterly operating profit."

Delta is serving you bubbas some strong Koolaid. Or is it just giddiness from the big check you got for the pension?

Maybe a little giddy and why shouldn't we be? We are getting two very large checks, our company has posted its fourth consecutive operational profit in a row, the last one of over $155M in a traditionally weak quarter, we have about $4B in cash and free cash flow I believe was about $460M. We are exiting BK on Monday after 19 months, that's quite a bit less time in BK than UAL, AWA, US spent, so we are a little optimistic and looking forward to putting this sad chapter behind us.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back