• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UA To Charge Obese Fliers Twice On Full Jets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does this mean they are going to charge some of the FA's to work the flight? God know's it sucks getting a face full of big FA a$$ when they are doing the cabin service. If you want to call it service, more like a beat down.

Does this mean they are going to charge some of the FA's to work the flight? God know's it sucks getting a face full of big FA a$$ when they are doing the cabin service. If you want to call it service, more like a beat down.

Good point!!! That's why I try and fly Asia as much as possible.

AAPR Blasts UA Discriminating Against People Of Size

AAPR Blasts United Airlines Decision to Discriminate Against People of Size; New Policy Charges Overweight Passengers for Two Tickets
PR Newswire
Posted: 2009-04-17 09:00:00

WASHINGTON, April 17 /PRNewswire/ -- The Association for Airline Passenger Rights (AAPR) today blasted the decision by United Airlines to violate the Civil Rights of people of size by charging them for two tickets if they are deemed to be overweight. United Airlines announced that its ticket agents will begin denying boarding passes to people of size if they are "unable to comfortably fasten a safety belt with one extension or sit comfortably with armrests down," unless they purchase a second ticket.

"They're at it again," said Brandon M. Macsata, Executive Director of AAPR, of the airline industry. "United is now the latest airline to shelve customer service standards in search for higher profits, while claiming that the new policy is to 'protect' other passengers. At issue should not be the size of any passenger, but rather why the airlines continue to pack coach passengers like sardines into the cabin."

Most coach airline seats are smaller than seats on buses or trains, even movie theaters - yet unlike in those environments, customers cannot simply get up and move around but are rather forced to sit uncomfortably until the flight's destination is reached.

Macsata further argued, "Where does this madness end? So now a customer who purchases an advanced ticket online can show up at the airport and arbitrarily denied boarding because a ticket agent deems him or her to be overweight? He or she would be at the mercy of the airlines - an unthinkable scenario especially if the passenger is traveling for a family emergency or death in the family. I wonder just how much will be the price of that second ticket?"

AAPR also questioned the legality of the discriminatory policy and whether it violates the Air Carrier Access Act governing the treatment of passengers with disabilities. It is documented that certain health conditions, and sometimes medications, can cause weight gain and therefore should be protected by law. The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) addressed this issue earlier this year, when it issued its "one-person, one-fare" ruling covering passengers with disabilities - including "clinically obese" passengers who cannot fit into a single seat.

For more information about the Association for Airline Passenger Rights, please visit www.flyfriendlyskies.com or contact AAPR directly at [email protected].

Please visit www.flyfriendlyskies.com to learn more or to join today and help make our skies friendlier!

SOURCE Association for Airline Passenger Rights

ok...off that article, then if they don't fit in the seat...give them one they will "fit" into without hanging out over the edge into someone elses seat. Put them in First Class and charge them for it. Easy enough.

Nothing like getting the middle seat between 2 big fat guys! Makes you appreciate getting the middle seat between 2 pretty girls though!

I don't really see this as anything more than someone making a mountain out of a molehill. This new policy is in line with all the other majors. But, in reality, it won't change a thing. If you notice, it says those that need more than one extension or can't get the armrest down will be required to get a second seat. Unfortunately that won't affect anyone (hardly anyone). As a former "obese traveller" (a year ago I was at 388 with a 58 inch waist), I never had trouble with one extension or putting the armrest down. So, the new policy would not have applied to me. Yet, it was still uncomfortable for me and whoever was stuck next to me... This new rule would not have helped either one of us. So, it's just a bunch of b.s.

You want real change? Do what SWA does and charge for anyone over 300 pounds. You really want to help make things better, lower the weight limit to 250-275. At that weight, it becomes not uncomfortable for anyone... (Yes, I speak from experience -- at 250 the seat was no longer uncomfortable, and now at 200, riding in coach isn't that bad an experience, other than the nasty old hags working the flight.......)

Last edited:
Saw the following cartoon in newspaper yesterday (4/17). Showed a huge fat guy taking up all 3 seats with a FA next to him with her cart. She said "On the bright side, the additional fare means an additional meal."

http://www.nypost.com/delonas/delonas.htm

Last edited:
Good for UAL.. If you've ever had to spend 2-5 hours next to someone that was muffintopping into your space you'd appreciate this... Good call..

I don't really see this as anything more than someone making a mountain out of a molehill. This new policy is in line with all the other majors. But, in reality, it won't change a thing. If you notice, it says those that need more than one extension or can't get the armrest down will be required to get a second seat. Unfortunately that won't affect anyone (hardly anyone). As a former "obese traveller" (a year ago I was at 388 with a 58 inch waist), I never had trouble with one extension or putting the armrest down. So, the new policy would not have applied to me. Yet, it was still uncomfortable for me and whoever was stuck next to me... This new rule would not have helped either one of us. So, it's just a bunch of b.s.

You want real change? Do what SWA does and charge for anyone over 300 pounds. You really want to help make things better, lower the weight limit to 250-275. At that weight, it becomes not uncomfortable for anyone... (Yes, I speak from experience -- at 250 the seat was no longer uncomfortable, and now at 200, riding in coach isn't that bad an experience, other than the nasty old hags working the flight.......)

At least you did something about it bad-andy. My problem isn't with the people who are unfortunate enough to have low metabolic rates, it's with the people who REFUSE to change and make others suffer as a result. I had to DH on a 6 hr flight stuck between, not one but TWO obese people. That was enough to change my tolerance level.

I don't exactly have a high metabolism either. I have to watch what I eat or my waist line will expand 4-6 inches in no time. I also have to excersize regularly in order to keep my BMI within repsectable levels. We should all do this. I submit the US would be a happier place if excersize were placed as highly as important as say, watching basketball or baseball games.

Latest resources

Back