• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UA To Charge Obese Fliers Twice On Full Jets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My problem isn't with the people who are unfortunate enough to have low metabolic rates, it's with the people who REFUSE to change and make others suffer as a result.

Well said, and I agree completely. It's amazing how hard work can outmuscle (pun intended, sorry) "bad genetics." And I, too, am proof. After spending most of my life "overweight," I dropped sixty pounds through diet and exercise. I still have to work my butt off (sorry again) to maintain that, but I made the decision that being healthy was more satisfying than eating a pound of Chinese food every other night.

We had a morbidly obese man seated in the aisle seat the other day, could not even stand up on his own. First, why the aisle seat? He clearly was impeding the ability of the window seat passenger to exit in the event of an emergency (his wife had the middle seat). Second, he actually broke two seats - the seat he was in, and the seat in front of him which he grabbed on to while sitting down and standing up.

I have no idea what the company did as far as charging the passenger for the broken seats, but this madness has to stop at some point.

This goes into health insurance as well, us people with reasonable BMI and health have to float the bill for the ever increasing "morbidly obese" and all the complications that result. Just like a non-smoker gets a discount on health insurance, so should relatively fit people.
And if weight is a huge issue for fuel burn, can my fuel savings due to relative weight be added to my hourly wage? Apply this rule as well to FA's and it's win win.

They ought to just charge by the pound!

Latest resources

Back