• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UA-Skywest CASS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A related question...can a UAX pilot who is not in CASS sit jumpseat on a UA/UAX flight not operated by the airline he works for?

ex. Can a Colgan pilot fly in a Mesa jumpseat?

Sorry if this is old news, I tried a search with no luck.

A (quite snippy) UA gate agent told me today that only UA and Skywest pilots could sit in the cockpit JS on a UAX flight. Despite my companies participation in CASS and despite the fact that she saw my pic on the CASS website, I was out of luck. I told her I didn't understand why a CASS approved pilot could ride on UA or Skywest but not on a Skywest airplane operating as UA X. She told me that was the way it was and if I didn't understand, it was my problem. And "the flight was overbooked". Then she turned away. I lucked out and got a cabin seat, but what's the story?
The Skywest crew, cool as usual, was puzzled and annoyed when I told them about it.
Any experts out there?

You are better off asking your jumpseat chairman, than posting it on here.

I like it when you get gate agents that don't even know what CASS is. Ever had that happen to you?
YES. It is really annoying. What do you mean you live in Orlando? We are in Chicago. Why are you here??? I don't get it.. are you on vacation??

A month or two ago the SkyWest jumpseat coordinator send out a message saying that there are about a dozen SkyWest outstations that can not support CASS. Due to some new TSA rule at these stations even SkyWest pilots can not ride the actual on SkyWest aircraft.

I deleted the email but here is part of it I posted in a different thread.

All pilots will be restricted from cockpit access on all United, United Express flights [including SkyWest] at non CASS stations. I believe these stations are included, but not limited to: ACV,BNA,ASE,BZN,CPR,EGE,FAR,FWA,GJT,GTF,GUC,HDN,IY K,JAC,LAN,MFR,MOD,MSO,OXR,RAP,RDM,SBA,SEA,SFO, SGU

If you see your pic show up and the station has CASS, talk to the captain. Gate agents rarely know what the rules really are.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back