• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptJax

United says March traffic, capacity fell
AP ONLINE
Posted: 2009-04-07 12:37:00

CHICAGO (AP) — United Airlines, a unit of UAL Corp., said consolidated March traffic, capacity and load factor fell, compared to the same month a year ago.

The carrier said late Monday it recorded 9.6 billion revenue passenger miles in March, a 13.6 percent decline from the 11.1 billion recorded in the same month in 2008.

A revenue passenger mile is a unit measuring one paying passenger flown one mile.

Capacity fell 9.9 percent to 12.2 billion available seat miles, compared to 13.5 billion in March 2008.

Load factor, or occupancy, fell 3.3 percentage points to 78.7 percent, compared to 82.0 percent in March 2008.

Year-to-date, consolidated traffic fell 13.2 percent to 25.8 billion from 29.7 billion a year earlier, capacity fell 11.3 percent to 34.1 billion from 38.4 billion a year earlier, and load factor fell 1.7 percentage points to 75.7 percent from 77.4 percent a year earlier.

The incredible shrinking airline...

Actually, I got that line from an old Navy squadron mate of mine who is one of the UAL BCPs.

Hey, I'm not clever enough to think this stuff up myself. He has point, though. How many airplanes has UAL parked? 100? 120? I can't keep up.

Latest resources

Back