• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptJax

United Airlines boosts 2nd-bag fee to $50
The Associated Press
Article Launched: 09/15/2008 07:41:15 AM PDT

CHICAGO—United Airlines has doubled its fee for a second checked bag to $50, citing volatile fuel prices.

United says the $50 one-way fee will apply for tickets bought beginning Tuesday for travel beginning November 10 within the U.S. or to or from Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Travelers in first or business classes, "Premier" frequent fliers and active-duty military personnel traveling on orders will be exempt. United estimated the $50 fee would apply to about one out of every seven customers.

Fuel prices have declined in recent weeks as oil prices have fallen, from a high of $147 a barrel to below $96 a barrel on Monday. But United says fuel prices remain more than 50 percent higher than last year.

I don't know if people have thought of it yet, but why don't they print a bunch of business cards up with that web site on them and pass them out in the terminal, especially at in the lines at check-in when people are getting raped. Don't even have to do it in uniform there, just wear some nice slacks and a polo shirt and walk around talking to people and let them know there is something they can do.

SWA had a really clever ad I saw in the WSJ last week... the one that shows "additional fees" on the page when you hold it up the light. Very creative and well played advertisement.

I'm not an SWA cheerleader, but they've got the best marketing in the airline world.

UA Pilots To CEO: Stop Taxing Our Paxs

United Pilots to CEO: Stop Taxing Our Passengers
PR Newswire
Posted: 2008-09-15 17:44:00

CHICAGO, Sept. 15 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Pilots for United Airlines (Nasdaq: UAUA) said today that they strongly oppose the airline's plan to double the fee it charges passengers for checking a second bag, which essentially raises taxes on passengers at a time when a stimulus is needed.

"There they go again," said Captain Steve Wallach, Chairman of the United Chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association. "The management at United should be trying to improve conditions for passengers, not finding backhanded ways to charge them more. Passengers do not like hidden fees, for good reason: It makes them feel like they're getting taken advantage of."

Captain Wallach said that the proposed new costs would most impact families and people traveling on vacation. Instead of punishing our passengers, he said, the airline should try to reduce overhead costs, rationalize prices and flight schedules, and eliminate excessive perks and bonuses for executives. Continuing to nickel and dime our customers, he added, is a great strategy to get them to fly on another airline.

Captain Wallach said the proposed changes are yet another bad decision made by United CEO Glenn Tilton and his executives.

The United pilots have set up a petition on its website www.GlennTilton.com for United passengers to demand the removal of these changes, and to restore the service passengers once expected from United Airlines.

SOURCE United Master Executive Council: ALPA

talk around the water cooler is the hidden fees are working and killing SWA bottom line, SWA will be forced into charging just like everyone else, maybe even sell fare by the pound....

Speaking of you guys. I was in SFO and about got run over by 3 737's and an Airbus - and I taxi FAST!

I was impressed. :beer:

Gup

talk around the water cooler is the hidden fees are working and killing SWA bottom line, SWA will be forced into charging just like everyone else, maybe even sell fare by the pound....

I don't know. I talk to passengers everyday that are balking about being nickel and dimed. They want to know that their ticket is the price - not a down payment.

Gup

Latest resources

Back