Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UA A320 at DEN: "Total Hydraulic Failure"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a guy with 5 years on the airplane I assure you that is a completley inaccurate statement.

Potato is correct, but he just worded it wrong.

Mech Backup is designed for Electrical/Flt Control failures, not for Hyd Failures.

I believe that is what he was trying to say.

I think we are all saying the same thing, in a variety of ways.

This thread was about Total Hyd Failures, hence the confusion.

Last edited:
Are you saying you did this with a complete Hyd failure? Or Elect Failure?? Big difference.

If you did this with a Total Hyd Failure, then I need to back to school, but I doubt that you did.

The purpose of Mech Backup is to give you time to reset the flight control computers. That's about it.

If you carefully re-read the thread you will see that I specified that mech backup is there for an electrical failure and that you will at least need either the green or yellow system to fly in mechanical backup.

If complete electrical failure has led to mechanical backup you are there for good. You no longer have any power to the switches on the overhead panel and can't re-set anything.

The purpose of Mech Backup is to give you time to reset the flight control computers. That's about it.

That is spot on.

M

If you carefully re-read the thread you will see that I specified that mech backup is there for an electrical failure and that you will at least need either the green or yellow system to fly in mechanical backup.

If complete electrical failure has led to mechanical backup you are there for good. You no longer have any power to the switches on the overhead panel and can't re-set anything.

That's interesting. I've never thought about that that, but it makes sense. All the overheat PBs just operate a relay somewhere else. So no power = no relay. Probably true in most any aircraft or car for that matter.

Thanks

....Yeah, but how does this affect the hot section of a pt6 if you have a thermal runaway of the prop inverter???

So to summarize this thread, so we are all happy...

The primary purpose of Mech Backup to to allow you basic control of the aircraft while you either reset the Flight Control Computers or in the case of a complete elect failure, to give you a shot at landing it.

And, with no hydraulics, we all agree you are a lawn dart.

I think we've been on the same page since post nbr one, actually.

Just a failure to communicate...

Latest resources

Back