• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dennis Miller

What about my Member
Thursday December 30, 11:49 am ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. pension agency on Thursday said it would take over the retirement plans of pilots at bankrupt United Airlines, which are underfunded by $2.9 billion.

The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp., which insures traditional retirement plans, said it would likely be liable for about $1.4 billion in guaranteed benefits, the third-largest claim in the history of the agency's program.

"Retirees will continue to receive monthly benefit checks without interruption, and other pilots will receive benefits when they retire," PBGC Executive Director Bradley Belt said.

The plans cover more than 14,000 active and retired United pilots and comes after a deal between the airline and pilots over concessions. The pension plans of the airline's other employees were not affected, the PBGC said.

United Airlines, the No. 2 U.S. airline and a unit of UAL Corp., has been trying to cut labor costs by $725 million a year beyond concessions already made by employees.

United has asked a bankruptcy court judge to allow it to terminate labor agreements and pension plans to preserve funds that would enable the airline to continue flying and attract financing so it can exit bankruptcy protection.

Pilots have promised not to contest United's bid to terminate their pension plan in return for various pledges, including contribution requirements and $550 million in convertible notes that could sweeten a future replacement retirement account.

Under federal law, the maximum pension payout for participants age 65 in plans that end in 2004 is $44,386 a year.

The PBGC saw its deficit more than double to $23.3 billion in fiscal 2004 that ended Sept. 30. The agency blamed the transportation, communications and utilities sectors.

Last edited:
Wow. Sigh.

I've never preached at anyone about "lowering the bar," and I actually think it's somewhat of a specious concept, but I will say this:

NO United pilot EVERY AGAIN, in light of what just happened, has ANY right to preach to ANYONE about their (past) glories in "raising the bar" (for all of what, 2 or 3 years, before it became manifestly unsustainable), nor to EVER chastise ANYONE -- not Jet Blue, not Mesa, NO ONE -- for actions that "lower the bar" for the profession.

I don't preach "hold firm, take a stand, sacrifice yourself for the 'good of the profession,'" and I'm not condemning the United pilots for what they did -- they made a rational decision in the face of really crummy circumstances. But I will say that they have forever lost all moral high ground to preach to others about "taking a stand for the profession" and "don't lower the bar" with what just happened. This is a very, very bad thing for pilots throughout the industry.

Snoopy,
I'm not arguing with you, but I'm curious what you thought the UA pilots should have done. Stand firm? Try a different compromise? I'm not very educated on the options available, but tell me what you think.

G4G5, I'm confused. You posted on this board several times how the government would sooner liquidate UAL than take over their pensions. I tried to let you know that was not going to be the case. Any explanations?

Is anyone surprised by this. UAL has been in Ch11 for over 2 years now, the ATSB, after having given loan guarantees to several LCC, denied the UAL request, setting up the ultimate termination of the UAL pilot's pension.

Does anyone know what UAL's defined contribution will be, if any?

Huggy,

I'm not condemning the pilots' decision; they made a rational decision in the face of crummy circumstances. They didn't have a good option that they ignored; they made the least bad choice available to them (as they saw it, and I'm not second-guessing them). BUT, in making that choice, IF you believe in the concept of "the bar," (and as I said, I generally don't), they dropped the bar a long, long, long way, and in a manner that will hurt a LOT of pilots. That's why they lost all right to preach on that subject.

If I held to the idea of "sacrifice yourselves, don't lower the bar," then I'd condemn them for their action. I don't hold to that idea, and I don't condemn them.

But I don't ever want to hear any United pilot preach at me on that subject ever again.

Snoopy

I realize that as part of their new deal, the United pilots agree not to fight the termination and in return they get 550 mil worth of convertable bonds to offset the pension losses but.........How long before UAL cries poor again and tries to get out of that?

Domino Effect

Not unexpected. They had budgeted for UAL & UAIR pensions.

The real question is how quickly can Congress act to defer the pensions of DL, AMR, and NWA. DL needs quick relief, probably by June at the latest. If Congress doesn't act, look for DL to head into BK for relief. AMR and NWA can hold on longer, and they will get their relief somewhere down the line.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back