U-2 Pilot Reaches 2000 Hours

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah

Congratz, but it's all single engine time. Totally kidding of course. :)

I got to ride in the Camaro with the little club on top once at PSAB. Now back to my SOS correspondence....yuck.

Huggy not to derail your victory thread but I have always been curious why the U-2 is still in use but the plane which was designed to replace it (SR-71) isn't.

There's not enough bandwidth on FI to discuss this one. Bottom line: the U-2 can incorporate new technology that allows it to gather intel without flying over the target; data link the info to a site on the other side of the world; and (a real big reason) it can loiter in one area for hours on end, vice blowing by at Mach 3 and taking a snapshot.
It's a good question you ask, but remember that the U-2 doesn't just "look", it also "listens"... and when you "listen", you need to stay in one spot for a significant period of time.

There's not enough bandwidth on FI to discuss this one. Bottom line: the U-2 can incorporate new technology that allows it to gather intel without flying over the target; data link the info to a site on the other side of the world; and (a real big reason) it can loiter in one area for hours on end, vice blowing by at Mach 3 and taking a snapshot.
It's a good question you ask, but remember that the U-2 doesn't just "look", it also "listens"... and when you "listen", you need to stay in one spot for a significant period of time.

Huggyu2;

Serious question: Is it true they are retrofitting some of the existing U-2s to be operated by remote, land based drivers since they haven't been able to develop a UAV (Global Hawk) that can replicate the U-2's functionality?

There has been some talk of a UAV based on the U-2 airframe. But I don't know if it's just "bar talk", or if it has progressed beyond that. However, based on G.H.'s lack of success, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that came along.

Huggy,
Congrats on the milestone! I see you still like hanging out in Houston. Any other former Laughlin FAIPs still hanging out at Beale?
Cliffy

Just curious, and please forgive my ignorance, but why has it taken so long for such a small number of folks to get to 2000 hours in the plane?

That doesn't seem like that many hours for a plane that loiters, I obviously don't know the numbers of pilots or aircraft that are in the inventory, must not be that many.

I don't want any trade secrets, just curious why it takes so long to accumulate hours in that aircraft.

And thank you for your service. That goes to all the military folks.

FJ

I have about 2000 hrs spinning 360s on downwind waiting for U-2s and T-38s at Beale to land!

All kidding aside, congrats.

I see you still like hanging out in Houston. Any other former Laughlin FAIPs still hanging out at Beale?
Cliffy
DLF FAIP's from long ago: Colaco and I are about the only ones. Heyniac retired a few years back. Dillard is on the staff. Big Daddy Don Ellis left here a long time ago. Who else am I forgetting??

FalconJet, when we deploy, we're usually gone for about 9 weeks. You normally fly about every 5-6 days, when you average non-flying days bad weather, etc... With sorties about 8 hours, you'll get about 80-110 hours on a normal deployment. Could you fly more? Yes, but we've proved over and over again that when you go long duration at the high cabin altitudes that we fly, people get sick: the number of episodes of decompression sickness increases. We saw this in the weeks following 9/11, when guys were flying every 3 days for 10-11 hours.
When you're back home, you really don't fly the U-2 that much. We tend to fly the T-38 more because it is cheaper, more available, and we do our instrument checkrides in it. Plus, there are fewer U-2s now days, and that leaves limited assets to fly on training flights.
Your first year in the U-2 is spent in training, and you probably get about 60 hours in the jet (maybe a bit more). Also, after about 3-5 deployments, depending on factors like your rank, you will probably deploy less frequently.
What all this means is that it will take you about 4 years to get 1000 hours.
In my case, once I hit 1000 hours, I became an instructor in the "school house", or what we call the "FTU". I deploy very infrequently. I spend my time flying with students on 1-2 hours flights primarily. And I spend a lot of time driving the chase car (we call it "mobile") watching students fly and land the U-2. I have logged a enough hours in the mobile to last a lifetime! Now, as the Chief of Interviews and Recruiting, I fly primarily with interviewees. But there's a lot of other work that needs to get done. Plus, being an experienced pilot, I don't fly as many proficiency sorties. Those are saved for the new guys that really need them.
Also, as a T-38 instructor and evaluator, I log a fair amount of time in the T-38: I'm told I'm the only current/qualified active duty pilot with over 3000 hours in the T-38, although there are a couple of Reservists at Randolph with 3K+, I think. With most sorties lasting 1.2 hours, that's a lot of sorties.
One other factor: no one comes to the U-2 out of pilot training. Most pilots come here at about the 7-10 year point in there career. That means that after about 4 years here, the USAF will often send them off to the staff, or off to a school, or off to some other non-flying position that needs to be filled to help their career progression. If you camp out and just fly, it will hurt your career. And in most cases, your bosses won't let you do it anyways. You might see some guys with 2000 or 3000 hours in the F-16, F-15, etc... but remember that they get into those aircraft as lieutenants. Most guys show up to the U-2 with a minimum of 1000 hours in something else.
And thanks for the kind words.

KCPilot, Sorry 'bout having to hold so much: I know you guys get completely hosed over when we are in the pattern. I remember how bad it was when we used to throw the SR-71s into the mix. Were you here for that?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back