Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Typical NetJets duty day and rest lengths?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fam62c

I'm just trying to get a feel for what the average NetJets day looks like in terms of duty day length and rest period length for whatever aircraft a newhire would typically be assigned. I realize that there may no such thing as a "typical" day at NJ but if some NJ guys could give it their best shot I would appreciate it. About the only complaint I've ever heard about NJ is succesive long days followed by short rest periods. I also have some other questions:

How are equipment assignments for new hires determined....do you bid?

Time to upgrade for a new hire?

Is there a training contract for new hires?

Typical legs in a day?

How long are you locked on new hire aircraft?

Do you have your choice of 7-7, 5-3 18 day, etc?

Do you have anything comparable to part 121 bidding where you can place work days and off days, even as you get more senior?

Thanks for the information.

It's really not possible to state a "typical" day. The company keeps stats on the average length of duty day and rest period by fleet. But because it's an average, some days are longer than others, by definition. As for long work days and short rest periods, we do have a have the ability to call fatigued and/or request a longer rest period.

As for the aircraft that new-hires are offered, I think it's going to be changing. With the new contract, I think more of the senior SIC's are going to be bidding larger aircraft as they await upgrade. The effect of that will be to cause more of the smaller aircraft to go to new-hires. But right now, there are still plenty of new-hires getting airplanes with APU's.

There is no training contract - that was done away with in the 2005 contract. The equipment lock for a new-hire is 39 months, I believe, under the new contract. Upgrade is a long time off for someone hired today. I'd say about 6 years, but that's just my guess. Put it this way, a new-hire's initial equipment lock would be up long before upgrade occurs.

We have 3 schedules available: the 15-day Flex, the 18-day Fixed and the 7/7. On the Flex, you can work up to 5 days in a row and will always have a minimum of 3 days off. The 18-day schedule is set by the 15th of the prior. We can make certain preferences set (days off, length of tour, etc.) but it's a crapshoot as to whether your preferences will matter. The 7/7 is just that: work 7 days and have 7 off.

This is a very different job from the 121 world. From the flying to the scheduling to working with the passengers, it's not "get in the plane and turn left". I flew 121 (regionals) before NJA and while I like NJA much more than what I did before, it's certainly not for everyone.

If you figure out what the "typical day" at NJA is, you'll win the golden goose. There is no such thing.

No one REALLY has any clue as to upgrade times, so I wouldn't even venture a guess. It is dependent on aircraft deliveries and not to attrition unfortunately for the new guys. IF the Hawker 4000 comes online, that will certainly help.

Guitar Guy is correct. 39 month seat lock UNLESS you can upgrade.

What aircraft you get assigned depends on where we need SICs that day. There is no rhyme or reason to it. You could get a Falcon, or you could get a 400xp, or anything in between.

While you are in training, you will be on the 18 day schedule. As soon as the next bid period comes around (3 a year) you can bid onto a different line. There will be a preferential bidding system for requested days off on the 18 day schedule. That is not up and running yet.

Good luck.

Everyday is a mystery. Maybe TEB. Maybe SAN. Maybe both. Oops, BB buzzing...scrap that, now SEA. Any where, any time, in style.

Did you see our ads at the derby?

Money,money, money,....MONEY!:pimp:

Thanks for the information. I guess a better way to put the question would be this: what is the maximum duty day, what it the minimum rest period, is the minimum rest period "in hotel" or does it include transportation time? How often do you get at or near max duty followed by at or near minimum rest?

Thanks.

Check out this website (click the link):

http://flightaware.com/live/fleet/EJA

You will see individual flight numbers 100s (Beechjet) through 900s (Citation X) with corresponding fleet types. Click on those flight numbers to see where those aircraft have been over the last few days (including where they laid over). Pretty cool website that should give you a good idea of how hard certain fleet types are flown.

Fractional flying certainly seems a lot more appealing than my day-to-day regional flying...

Sorry to keep bugging you guys but one more question: Does the fixed 18 day scedule mean that you are on duty for 18 days in a month with 12-13 days off depending on the month length? So it could be 6 on 3 off?

what is the maximum duty day, what it the minimum rest period, is the minimum rest period "in hotel" or does it include transportation time? How often do you get at or near max duty followed by at or near minimum rest?
It sounds like you are trying to equate frax life to airline life. Simple answer, it doesn't. But here are your answers.

Max duty day is 14 hours. You may have several per tour or you may fly several tours without a 14 hour day. If we are fatigued we tell them and we automatically get 14 hours off....no questions asked.

Minimum rest is 10 hours. If the hotel is close, transportation is included in the rest time. If it is not "local in nature" rest doesn't start until you check in to the hotel. Again....you may have several min rest nights per week, or you may go a few tours with no min rest nights.

You might fly 6 legs per day, you may fly 1 leg per day, or you might sit for 2-5 days. Same pay either way.
Click on those flight numbers to see where those aircraft have been over the last few days (including where they laid over). Pretty cool website that should give you a good idea of how hard certain fleet types are flown.
Not totally reliable though. You have no idea if the long ground time was a mx layover or if a short one was a crew change or not. There are times when 3 crews fly the same plane in a day. Maybe a crew parked a broke one and took off in a second plane.

Last edited:
14 hours max. 30 mins from block in to clean, restock, put covers on, and get to hotel. a lot of times a 14 duty day that wasn't planned for causes a reduced overnight. Original day planned for was 12hrs, and your overnight was schd for 12hrs. Lets say ur running late 2hrs for wx, mx , pax whatever, they just reduce ur overnight to make up for your lateness.

10 hrs is the min overnight and I average 2.5 10hr overnights a tour.

I average 1.8 14 hr duty days a tour( my elog book tracks all of my duty and overnights ) Varies a lot.

And as far as upgrades we have had like 15 true upgrades this last 8 months (sic to pic), It will be a minimum of 5yrs upgrade for anybody hired anytime soon, I would plan on a 7-9 yr upgrade.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back