Typical Day at EJA or Flex Jet?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sppedmode

I'm can't complain, I have a good job flying a CRJ at Northwest Airlink. But lately, my quality of life has taken a big hit. I'm no longer flying 85-90 hours a month, I'm sitting reserve as the senior Saab pilots transition to the RJ. I'm not complaing, I understand seniority, just wondering if the grass is greener on the other side...ie the fracs. I've always wanted to be a corp pilot where you actually get "meet" the people you fly and get treated with respect.
So, with that, what is a typical day at the EJA or Flexjet. How do you get to work (jumpseat?), check in, who does the release (do you file?) who does mx, who is resposible for what, what are schedules, how are the a/c, how long sitting reserve (is there reserves at fthe fracs?) any perks, any down side, can you take your wife/girlfriend on a repo flt, can you fly on other eja flights that are repo, typcial destinations, gone how long, schedules, upgrades...stuff like that.
And finally, would it be worth it to quit a somewhat "good" flying job at a time when nearly 80% of my friends are on furlough and try starting over at the fracs?. I'll probably get my 2500 hours sometime late summer, with approx 1500 multi and 1300 jet...would I even make a decesnt canadite with those times?
Thanks in advance for any responses...just curious:)

I am an ex frac pilot - here is how I see it,

If your goal is to fly for a major than my sugestion is stay put. I have friends that I have flown with in the past, some went comuter some went corp. We all think the other has it better, and would like to try the other but won't give up what we have to start over. Fracs have better pay and usually can live where you want within reason, You have travel bennies.

Q: Getting to work.
A: You are an airline pax with no special privliges, except if your company allows you to accumulate miles. Once you leave home, your gone, you won't see it again for a week give or take a day depending on who you work for.

Q: Flight planning, MX, Scheduling.
A: Your on your own, unless you go international, most will do everything for you (but you must be prepared to do it yourself, because when it gets messed up because of times or problems, and it will, again your on your own and its your ass.) MX is usually handled with a simple phone call and they will tell you where to go and you just walk away. Scheduling is just an idea, the only thing that goes as planned is an early a.m. departure. After that just roll the dice and hope for the best. Plan on 10 hours of rest if you fly something cool or cheap like a X or an ultra.

Q: A/C, Reserve, repo's
A: A/C are usually new with the exception of "Flight Options" that uses used a/c. The latest in avionics, and seats with some cushon left in them, unlike the seats in a 25 year old lear, might as well sit on a piece of wood. No reserve, however if there are too many pilots and you are at the bottom it can work in your favor by not getting called out on your day one, and if it gets close to your go home day they just won't send you out at all. No free rides for friends or family, or even you for that mater its not worth it to even ask.

Q: Destinations, upgrades
A: Plan on going somewhere you have never been atleast once a week for your first 3 years. Upgrades depend on the company, some will shotgun you to the left seat when they need you, some actually have rules like EJ.

Again if your goal is the majors, I would think twice, you can always fly a corp jet, even after 60.

speedmode

Just wondering if the grass is greener on the other side...
I think so.

What is a typical day at the EJA or Flexjet.
Always different. 2-6 legs, 9-12 hours duty avg.

How do you get to work (jumpseat?),
Drive to FBO at the gateway :)25 min)

Who does the release ?
Licensed dispatchers

Do you file?
No.

Who does mx,
Mostly the manufacturers. The planes are under warrantee

Who is responsible for what?
Need more info.

What schedules?
17 day (two 6 day and one 5 day standard tour) and 7 on 7 off.

How are the a/c?
Top notch

How long sitting reserve (is there reserves at the fracs?)
No formal reserve like airlines, but, you may wait a few weeks for IOE.

Any perks?
Many. Free hotel stays, free (space positive) airline tickets, free food.
I’ve cashed in the free week in Hawaii and a Sony Dream system.

Any down side?
Yes, being a way from home and family for a week at a time.

Can you take your wife/girlfriend on a repo flt?
Yes.

Can you fly on other EJA flights that are repo,
Yes.

Typical destinations?
Anywhere. (ex. X09, TEB, LGA, PBI, MCO, LAS, SJC, MDW, HXD)

Gone how long, upgrades...stuff like that?
Gone 4 to 7 days, upgrade …avg 6-8 months, if not sooner.

And finally, would it be worth it to quit a somewhat "good" flying job at a time when nearly 80% of my friends are on furlough and try starting over at the fracs?
It would be easier to transition now, out of convenience than later, by necessity.

2500 hours,1500 multi, 1300 jet...would I even make a descent candidate with those times?
Yes.

EJA Capt

Great post with lots of great info! EJA and Flight Options are rapidly rising to the top of my list as companies to work for.

Does anybody have any idea what the differences are between EJA and Flight Options? Why would one choose one company over the other if there was a choice?

Thanks,
backflip

Backflip
I will try not to step on any of the Flight Options guys’ toes with this one. It is no secret who I work for, so my vote goes hands down to EJA.

EJA is the only fractional that has NOT suspended hiring. Forecast hiring for 2002 is 720pilots. (More than RTA/Flight Opts currently employ!) There is still a lot of dust to settle at Flight Options, LLC before I would advise signing up over there (the same goes for Avolar). There are a growing number of FORMER Flight Options and Flexjet pilots in our ranks. I believe that says volumes. From what I have witnessed on the road, we are much happier with the quality of life at EJA than our counterparts.

Even with the merger of Flt Options and RTA, EJA is still much larger, having more aircraft in number and in types flown. EJA’s pilots are unionized and work under contract. Upgrades and schedules are bid by seniority. All pilots at EJA are typed from the onset of employment and attend recurrent at 6 month intervals.

The differences are night and day, and could go on forever. Checkout other posts on this board and www.fracstats.com for more info. Go to your closest FBO sometime and talk to the pilots of each company and compare notes. I did.

Good luck,

Thanks EJA Capt, Backflip, and May for the great info.
Just a couple more questions if you guys don't mind...

1) How often can you change your gateway and does every gateway have every aircraft type. I guess what I am getting at is if I was assigned, say the Hawker 800, would that limit me to a fewer gateways?

2) How many hours per month is actual flight time, as opposed to on duty...I'm guessing that there is a lot of down time.

3) What are the chances of getting to the larger aircraft? I noticed that EJA has a two or three different companies? Is one Intl only with the G-IV's & V's?

4) What could I expect to make the first couple of years at EJA?
I was told I'd only make around $17000 the first year at a regional, and I made well over that...what is a realistic amount provided that I picked up an extra trip or two each month?

That's it for now, I really appreciate all your help. Thanks for your time...

I'll see of I can answer some of your questions:
1. Gateways are not assigned by Seniority or Aircraft type-no matter what your aircraft is-if EJA has a gateway at a certain location and you want it-you get it. I have heard rumors that we might try to get a live anywhere policy with the new contract-the two other branches of NetJets(EJI & EJM) already have the live anywhere policy. You can change your gateway within 30 days after notification to to the company. Some guys switch gateways allot-North in the summer and South in the winter.

2. Flight time really depends on your fleet and position-we are really heavy F/O's in most of the fleets-and short CPT's. Most of the CPT's I see fly their butt off-and can extend for overtime pretty much anytime they want. But I would guess flight time on a general average would be about 40 to 50 hours a month.

3. Currently EJA, EJI, and EJM are sperate divisions under NetJets-to move over to EJI you would have to apply to EJI.
EJA bidding is based on seniority-and most aircraft are wide open except for the Falcon 2000 and the BBJ.
We are slated to get the Galaxy, Hawker Horizon, Citation Sovereign over the next few years.

4. With base pay, average OT, and per diem approx 40k first year for F/O(but that is optimistic) I am a first year F/O and am on track for an average of about 37K for year 1 but that is because things were going slow for me for a bit due to a backlog of pilots in IOE. This is because EJA is expanding fast-from what I have heard we have many customers waiting in line for a fractional share. I was hired in Oct and already have 200 pilots below me.
Now is the time to apply-we are supposed to be hiring over 700 pilots in 2002.

Hope this helps.
Fly Safe
Chuck

Reponse to EJA Capt.

Thank you for not stepping our us poor boys at Option's toes. I would like to clarify some of the things you posted about.

The new LLC will have approx. 1000 pilots. I'm not sure how many aircraft types EJA has, but including those aircraft types on order the LLC will have 12 different aircraft types.

It appears that the only thing that is going to stop this merger is the federal govt. I myself doubt Anti-trust issues will be an issue.

Each company has it's own + & -. One thing that we have here at Options that EJA does not is the ability to live anywhere you choose. We like EJA, types the SIC's right off the bat, upgrades are done based on seniority, etc.

Both companies have their good points and bad. In the end we all do the same job, just done differently.

"The new LLC will have approx. 1000 pilots. I'm not sure how many aircraft types EJA has, but including those aircraft types on order the LLC will have 12 different aircraft types." - Joe J Pilot

"Forecast hiring for 2002 is 720pilots. (More than RTA/Flight Opts currently employ!)"- EJA Capt

I meant 720 MORE pilots this year. There are already over 1500 pilots at EJA. With the additional 720, we will be 2300+ by the end of the year. You are correct on the aircraft. Throw in EJAs orders and we have 13.

FO LLC
1. KA200
2. C525
3. C560
4. Beechjet 400A/Diamond
5. C650 (III)
6. HS125-800(A)
7. HS125-800XP
8. DA50
9. CL601
10. GIV

Orders: Horizons, Premier, Envoy 7
Total: ? (Haven't counted lately ;) )

EJA
1. C560 Ultra
2. C560 Encore
3. Citation Excel
4. C650 (VII)
5. Citation X
6. HS125-800XP
7. Bae1000(A/B)
8. DA2000A
9. G200 (June 2002) 50 orders/50 options
10. B737

On order (orders/options)
Sovereign: 50/50
Horizon: 50/50
DA2000EX: 25/25

Total: 251 as of Dec 2001 (Not incl EJM 80+, or EJI +/-40)

:D

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back