Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ipilot

HEY GUYS!!
I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW USEFULL IT IS TO GET A TYPE RATING ON UR OWN AND THEN LOOK FOR A JOB. IS IT O.K TO GET IT OTHER THAN FLIGHT SAFETY OR PAN AM? ARE THERE ANY GOOD PLACES OTHER THAN THESE PLACES WHERE U CAN GET GOOD TRAINING IN CHEAP PRICES. WHAT TYPE RATING WILL BE THE MOST USEFUL TO DO( B 737 OR LEAR ETC.). MAY BE FALCON CAPT. CAN HELP AS WELL. THANKS IN ADVANCE....

Waste of Time

Spending your hard earned money on a type rating, I feel is a waste of money. With only 1,000 hours it's not really going to seperate you from others since odds are, you will have very little time in type to go with the rating. Lets say you got hired as a SIC in a Citation and the chief pilot would get you some left seat time, maybe just maybe I would consider the type. But its a lot of money ($6,000-10,000).

Joyous Holiday Season
Humble

I agree, a Type Rating without any time in type (I mean at least 100 hours in type) is a waste of money.... and at 1,000 hours, you won't even have ATP Privledges in Type....

Save your money and wait for your future employer to buy your rating for you....

If you feel you must buy a Type Rating, then I would suggest a Citation (CE-500) or a Lear (LR-Jet) Type Rating as it would give you the most aircraft per type...

I honestly think you are wasting your money... If I were hiring someone and there was a guy with 2,000 hours and no type or a guy with 1,000 hours and a type (but no time in type) I would more than likely go for the guy with 2,000 hours....

Good Luck!

Well! thanks to Falcon Capt. as always and to humble pilot. Its good to know that the views r the same not to waste money on type ratings unless sometime in type. I know its really a hard time for us low time guys trying to get a real job but i'm sure that something will come up. Nobody answered my question about cheap and good type rating companies. There is a company in Miami, Eagle Jet. They offer quite a few programmes building time as SIC or PIC and type ratings as well. Is that thing worth doing, does anybody care if u bought the time? Thanks again.....
Merry X mas

ipilot.... you have 1,000 hours... be patient... you have spent plenty of cash getting all your ratings as it is... "Buying" flight time shouldn't even be a consideration for you right now... Focus your energy on doing the best you can at your current job and also looking for new opportunities.... it will happen... I was in your shoes back in 1991-1992 when pay-for-training was rampant throughout the industry and new commuter F/O's typically had 2,500 TT ( and that was to fly right seat in a 1900).. I knew a 1900 Captain who had nearly 10,000 hours!

Be patient... I never paid for an hour of flying after getting my CFI-ME.... I had about 260 hours back then... Be persistant and make the most of your current situation... When I was a CFI we encouraged the owner to pursue a 135 certificate, we got that and eventually leased a C-414A.... using that experience I moved on to a large Charter company and started flying KingAirs and Lear (and another CFI moved into the C-414)... be creative, you never know what might come of it....

Don't "buy" time, you are wasting your money.... And I know a lot of employers out there who frown upon that kind of "experience"... again, it is like flying for free (actually worse, because you are paying someone to let you fly) it only hurts the Profession.... When was the last time a Doctor paid YOU to give you a check-up??? Or a Lawyer paid YOU to defend you.... it just doesn't happen, nor should flying for free as a Professional...

Just my $0.02 worth....

Good Luck!

Wow!!!!
Thanks Falcon Capt. for the long reply. I surely will try and be patient untill the opportunity comes to try something else. I'm really very happy at my current positions as a CFI and i'm building up some good hours. I think it will be better to get a 135 job and get the hands on a turbo prob A/C. Build sometime and then look for a Jet job somewhere. I'm not going to buy the time. Thanks again.....
Merry X mas

To give you a frame of reference... I CFI'ed until I had 2,450 Total Time and 850 Multi... (I have over 1,650 dual given)... I didn't touch a turbine until after this...

At 1,000 hours I was happy to just being allowed to teach in the twin... our school had a 1,000 TT minimum to teach in the twin...

Patients is a requirement in this industry!

Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

Falcon Capt.

Dear ipilot,

i was a 800 TT commercial multi engine pilot when i first heard the noise of PT6 on each side of my ears instead of flying by my ears. How did i get there you might ask,
Well, be at your flying school or FBO, go to small airports where you know that a guy owns a King Air, Cheyenne (in my case), ...

Sooner or later he will take you on a flight. It's flight time that you cannot log in most cases but its experience. Most important you will have an idea about what to expect and time to adapt at the speed at which things go. Then i got a job offer for a right seat on a Be1900, followed four months later by the Metroliner. Then i got the opportunity to fly jets. I have been flying Learjets for a year now and i will be upgraded by april. It took 2 years from 800 TT to 2200+

You can log King Air 90/100/200 time if its Part 91 (repositioning, ferry, maintenance check, etc) with just a Com Mult. The 350 requires a type rating. That goes for any turboprop under 12,500 gross

Flydog is correct provided you have done you're 3 TO/LDGs etc. Until then, you may not. Also, when thinking about logging time, even though you don't require a type rating in the 90/100/200, you may still wish to only log it as SIC (this opens another can of worms...). If the airlines are you ultimate goal, really look into how each like you to log time! If they look back at your logbooks (and MOST DO!), and see at 700 or 800 hours Total Time you were logging BE200 PIC time, they will become VERY skeptical. That might get you a question such as "Tell me about the hydraulic system on the King Air 200 you've flown?" If you were just looking to log turbine time and didn't learn about the airplane (I mean dig into an initial manual or AFM and LEARN about it), and you fumble that question, well...it's all uphill from there.

Now, the SIC can of worms: Since an SIC is not required by certification on King Airs, you can't just ride with a buddy and log SIC time all day long. Here if I remember correctly (someone help me out f I'm wrong), you can only log SIC time if it's the company policy to require a second pilot. If they DON'T, just because the guy asked you to "ride along" doesn't mean you can log SIC. Again, if the airlines are you're long term goal, really look into how THEY want you to log time. Though each vary slightly, you'll get an idea of what they're looking for. And, most if not all DO look at your logs. I interviewed with an airline last year (hired but I declined the offer), they started with my first log book, first page, first entry, and that was over 20 years ago!

Didn't mean to get long winded here. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

2000Flyer

Latest resources

Back