Type ratings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bobbysamd

Just was wondering if experience in civilian-derived military equipment translates into type ratings on your civilian certficate when you visit the FSDO to get your civilian tickets.

E.g., if you get a DC-10 type if you are a KC-10 driver, B737 type if you fly T-43s, etc., without having to take an FCC type rating practical.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

I have a SK-70 type/ H60 Black Hawk
j

Yes, it does. That's how I got the B-707 and BE-40 types.

In order to get the type you have to pass a checkride and be designated as PIC of the aircraft, and also have 10 (I think) hours as PIC in the aircraft.

T1bubba

C-130 type

I received my type rating in the C-130 (L-382 Civ designator) after coming back from C-130 Pilot initial in Little Rock. I was a helo and T-34C guy, and the guard sent me to school for left seat (pilot) training. After returnng, my local FAA office gave me a type rating because I had a military checkride and had been trained in the left seat. If I had gone to the Co-pilot course I would not have been eligible for a type.

I think in order to not have a limitation on your type rating, you must have 25 hours in type. This is for all those guys getting typed at FSI, Simuflite, etc. having never set foot in the plane, doing everything in the sim.

"I think in order to not have a limitation on your type rating, you must have 25 hours in type. This is for all those guys getting typed at FSI, Simuflite, etc. having never set foot in the plane, doing everything in the sim."

If you already hold a type rating in a different type of turbojet airplane the limitation is not applicable. For example, if you hold a CE-500 type rating you can add a B-747-400 rating without a flight experience limitation.

The rule states that you must have passed a military checkride as pilot in command and an instrument proffeciency check within the preceeding 12 months, or have flown 10 hours as pilot in command within the preceeding 12 months, or pass a practical test in the aircraft. On the rating form they now have different blocks you can check, one for the checkride, one for the 10 hours PIC. As with many of these issues, different FSDOs often have different interpretations of what constitutes a checkride as pilot in command. Additionally, the FSDO has a list of all military aircraft that have civilian counter-parts and are thus elegible for a type.

Type Ratings

Hello All,

I received a B-707 and B-720 type rating from flying the E-3. Take care.

Latest resources

Back