• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jasonwb said:
the main requirement for a type rating is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
cmon we all know that........
my $.02

jb

ummm yeah (rolls eyes)

Legend has it that Larry Ellison got his private in a CitationJet. I wonder if it's true?

JAFI said:
You can get a type rating during your first private pilot exam if you are taking the exam in a type rated aircraft. I use the word "can" only because there is nothing in the regs (that I know of) that will not allow you to do so. I do not know of any body that has recieved a type during an initial private exam. I would think the exam would be ... comprehensive.... If you will ever get insurance to fly a type rated aircraft with only 40+ hours is another story.

User Name said:
We have some feds saying that we need 2500hrs. turbojet to get a type rating in a Level C or D simulator. Where is that number coming from? I've searched the regs for an additional rating and it appears there are a variety of ways to meet the requirements to earn a type rating in a Level C or D simulator, but none even require 2500 total time let alone 2500 turbojet. Thanks for your help.

Don't even talk to the feds. There is a reason most of them work for the FAA.

Talk directly to your training provider. They conduct the training. Some fed at a FSDO as nothing to do with it.

ultrarunner said:
There is a reason most of them work for the FAA.

That is true, The FAA now pays better than many flying jobs.

Weekend and holidays off. You get to sleep in your own bed. Vacation when YOU want to take it. We all make choices...

JAFI

Last edited:
Of course I am going to respond! You're still wrong. 1st, I think there is confusion as to what question the guy answering the question is being asked. Here is the answer he gives, "The applicant does not qualify under 61.63(e)(4)(ii)(A) or under 61.157(g)(3)(ii)(A) to take a 100% practical test in a simulator for the CE650 type rating. "

The question was about whether the SOE would be removed, not whether he could take a 100% ride in the sim. The guy didnt even answer the right question.

Also, I don't know what other things the PART 142 schools use, but at the FSI and especially Simuflite, anyone who hits the door can take a 100% ride in the sim. Whth the modern technology, it's the sim itself that is limiting. not the canidate. As long as it is level C or D, the entire ride can be accomplished in the sim. With anything less that C or D, circiling approachs cannot be accomplished because of the level of graphics, so if all you have is a level A orB, then the aircraft is used to complete those items.

Also, in reading the website that you referenced, it specifically states that these answers are not legal answers, just opinions of the author. Even thought he works for the FAA, he has his own opinion, but let's face it, it's not the one that counts. Obviusly it's not the one that counts as 142 schools are operating in a menner different that what this guy is suggesting. Everybody has their own opinion. Call any 2 FSDOs with the same question, and you'll get 2 different answers. The best place to go is the Training provider. Each FSi is governed by it's local FSDO, so things are going to be different between any 2 FSI. Technically, it might be skirting the FARs by using their own wording, but it is because of that wording that allows this practive to be legal. No matter what you or anyone else says, this practice occurs on a regular basis.

Finally, my friends Names: Mike Hunt and Anita Goodwon. Feel free to pass their names on to whoever you need to pass them on to, but I can assure you it wil not make any difference.

jimpilot said:
Pretty strong words. Let's do what you say, let's go to the FAA web site and go to their frequently asked questions section. When we get there let's look at question numer 399.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/afs/afs800/afs840/part_61/media/pt61FAQ.doc

I will include it's text here:

QUESTION: A pilot comes to FlightSafety and does not qualify for a 100% simulator ride, which would result in a clean certificate under 14 CFR §§ 61.63(e)(4)(ii) and 61.157(g)(3)(ii).

Therefore he or she completes the 100% ride in a simulator and receives the rating or certificate with rating, with the 15 or 25 hour SOE limitation. Let's say it is in a CE-500.

The person in question then does not fly the required 15 or 25 hours of SOE to remove the restrictions but rather goes through another 100% simulator turbojet type rating course. Let’s say a CE-650. Again the person does not meet the requirements for the 100% check except this time he or she produces the CE-500 type rating with the SOE limitation and suggests that he now qualifies for the 100% check under 14 CFR § 61.63(e)(4)(ii)(A).

The question is, does the applicant actually qualify to take the 100% check in a simulator, and then receive a clean CE650 type rating (meaning without any S.O.E limitations)? If the answer is yes, they could then go back and take a CE500 recurrent or if all of this was done within 60 days of completion of the original CE-500 training course just take another CE500 checkride and have both types clean (meaning without any S.O.E limitations).

I know I have asked this question before and the answer was no. This is circumventing the intent of the regulation. The question has reappeared and I cannot put my hands on anything in writing. Can you help?

An additional fact is that AFS 200 has ruled that because of the wording in 14 CFR §135.338(c) a person with a type rating with SOE limitation may not instruct in Part 135.

This is creating a problem for FSI since they are having a problem getting the SOE removed. It is easier, (and I think cheaper) for them to just send a person through the second type rating course.

ANSWER: Ref. 61.63(e)(4)(ii)(A) and 61.157(g)(3)(ii)(A). The applicant does not qualify under 61.63(e)(4)(ii)(A) or under 61.157(g)(3)(ii)(A) to take a 100% practical test in a simulator for the CE650 type rating. The intent of “. . . Hold a type rating for a turbojet airplane of the same class of airplane for which the type rating is sought . . .” in subparagraph (A) in 61.63(e)(4)(ii) and subparagraph (A) in 61.157(g)(3)(ii) requires that the type rating be clean (meaning without any S.O.E limitations).

{Q&A-399}

Could you please give me the names of your friends who had their SOE removed so we can notify the right folks.

And before you make statements like:

You are wrong, wrong, wrong!!!! Maybe 30 years ago when you did it it was like that, but now it is not. You are flat out wrong.

You might want to know a little something about what you're talking about.

Let's see if he even responds to this...............................

Last edited:
Good Luck

HawkerF/O said:
Of course I am going to respond! You're still wrong. 1st, I think there is confusion as to what question the guy answering the question is being asked. Here is the answer he gives, "The applicant does not qualify under 61.63(e)(4)(ii)(A) or under 61.157(g)(3)(ii)(A) to take a 100% practical test in a simulator for the CE650 type rating. "

The question was about whether the SOE would be removed, not whether he could take a 100% ride in the sim. The guy didnt even answer the right question.

Also, I don't know what other things the PART 142 schools use, but at the FSI and especially Simuflite, anyone who hits the door can take a 100% ride in the sim. Whth the modern technology, it's the sim itself that is limiting. not the canidate. As long as it is level C or D, the entire ride can be accomplished in the sim. With anything less that C or D, circiling approachs cannot be accomplished because of the level of graphics, so if all you have is a level A orB, then the aircraft is used to complete those items.

Also, in reading the website that you referenced, it specifically states that these answers are not legal answers, just opinions of the author. Even thought he works for the FAA, he has his own opinion, but let's face it, it's not the one that counts. Obviusly it's not the one that counts as 142 schools are operating in a menner different that what this guy is suggesting. Everybody has their own opinion. Call any 2 FSDOs with the same question, and you'll get 2 different answers. The best place to go is the Training provider. Each FSi is governed by it's local FSDO, so things are going to be different between any 2 FSI. Technically, it might be skirting the FARs by using their own wording, but it is because of that wording that allows this practive to be legal. No matter what you or anyone else says, this practice occurs on a regular basis.

Finally, my friends Names: Mike Hunt and Anita Goodwon. Feel free to pass their names on to whoever you need to pass them on to, but I can assure you it wil not make any difference.

A 100% type rating is a type rating without an SOE. Ask your training provider, they will explain it to you.

When you're ready for a type rating, explain your view of the regulations to them. Tell them John Lynch and the FAQs are wrong and you have the right answer. I'm sure they will listen.

Latest resources

Back