• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Type Rating Question....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is correct. One would need the multi prior to the type ride, or perform the ME maneuvers per the PTS during the ride.
Bingo, you win the prize. A few years back, we hired a guy who had just gotten out of the Air Force. He had a commercial multi-engine (limited to centerline thrust) and instrument ratings. We sent him to FSI for an Astra type. He went down there with his ATP written passed; he had to do everything - AMEL, ATP, Astra type, but he was able to do it one one ride in the sim.

Years ago, there was a Hollywood actor - Danny Kay, who did all of his flight training for his PPL in a Beech Queen Air. The military has essentially been doing this for years; just a few hours in a single the comes the T-37 and T-38.

Back in the 90's when I was flying Lears, there were a few guys that came to Tucson to get Lear types on private certificates. They also were limited to VFR. Imagine that, flying a 20 series Lear on a PPL and not being able to climb above 17,500 feet!

LS

Back in the 90's when I was flying Lears, there were a few guys that came to Tucson to get Lear types on private certificates. They also were limited to VFR. Imagine that, flying a 20 series Lear on a PPL and not being able to climb above 17,500 feet!

LS

You do not see many VFR only type ratings any more. FlightSafety (some centers) use to hand those out like candy. Not any more. Now the ATP PTS is specific when a VFR only type can be issued.

You could do the multi-engine checkride and type ride at the same time, but you'd have to cover all the required items.

So when the person goes to do all of their XC's and pattern work solo, the CFI can sign off on the back of their student certificate that they can fly a ME aircraft as a student?

-Rob

So when the person goes to do all of their XC's and pattern work solo, the CFI can sign off on the back of their student certificate that they can fly a ME aircraft as a student?

-Rob
Yes. A 'student pilot' is not restricted to light single-engine airplanes. That is a restriction that usually occurs due to financial and insurance reasons. If you can afford it, you could also learn to fly - and solo - in a jet - or a King Air, or whatever.

Yes. A 'student pilot' is not restricted to light single-engine airplanes. That is a restriction that usually occurs due to financial and insurance reasons. If you can afford it, you could also learn to fly - and solo - in a jet - or a King Air, or whatever.

Solo a jet.... I suppose assuming it's one that allows for single pilot flying.

Do the Air Force pilots who train in the T-1 get a centerline thrust restriction on their FAA certificates (assuming no MEL prior to UPT)?

Jim, The short answer "NO", or at least they should not. The T1 is a B400 and a "civilian" aircraft with no center thrust restriction on a pilot certificate.

Ref: FAA Order 8700

These are the aircraft that have no Vmc information:

E. Limited-to-Center Thrust Limitation.
(1) The military aircraft listed below have no Vmc established by the manufacturer. Other military multiengine airplanes may exist now or in the future for which there is no published data on Vmc. Military pilots who can only show qualification in those kinds of multiengine airplanes may only be issued a multiengine airplane rating with the limitation “Limited-to-Center Thrust.”
(a) T-2B/C Rockwell Buckeye.
(b) T-37 Cessna 318.
(c) T-38 Northrop Talon.
(d) F-4 McDonnell-Douglas Phantom.
(e) F-111 General Dynamics F-111.
(f) F-18 Northrop-McDonnell-Douglas Hornet.
(g) A6-E Grumman American Intruder.
(h) A-10 Fairchild Republic Thunderbolt II.
(i) F-15 McDonnell-Douglas Eagle.
(j) F-14 Grumman F-14.
(k) F-117 Lockheed Stealth.
(l) F-22 Boeing/McDonnell F-22.
(2) The “Limited-to-Center Thrust” limitation is not placed on a pilot certificate when the airplane has a V published on the airplane’s type certificate data sheet or approved flight manual.

Latest resources

Back