Type Rating Question....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BcPilot99

Was asked this today by one of my fellow instructors and didn't have a very good explanation......

If you have a commercial pilot rating ( no multi) and say you go to flight safety and get typed in a lear for example, will that count as a multi rating???

I said if might allow you to fly that specific a/c and others that fall under that type, but I doubt it would count as a multi engine rating.....

Any Comments?

BTW, how would one be able to commence training for a type rating in a multiengine plane (turbine or otherwise) if they don't have MEL privileges?

BTW, how would one be able to commence training for a type rating in a multiengine plane (turbine or otherwise) if they don't have MEL privileges?

Probably the same way one commences training for a multiengine plane without privileges in a multiengine plane? Study, sim, fly - repeat.

-mini

Probably the same way one commences training for a multiengine plane without privileges in a multiengine plane? Study, sim, fly - repeat.

-mini

Obviously. :rolleyes:

I hope you're kidding.

What I was insinuating was that a type ride is just that. Training for PIC privileges on the specific plane you're getting typed in. A type rating program assumes you have the requisite instrument and multiengine privileges and knowledge. The instructor is NOT teaching you how to fly by reference to instruments nor is he giving instruction on the basics of multiengine operations. Those tasks are covered during the respective ME or IFR training and are assumed during the type training.

The type rating is usually a set course and curriculm. This involves the specific handling characteristics, limitations, procedures, etc. of the particular plane. It doesn't include learning to fly with more than one engine. Also, I believethat you must take an MEL ride in an actual plane, not in a simulator which is where the majority of the type may take place.

Perhaps the original poster was confused with obtaining an ATP certificate during the type ride, which can be done if agreed upon prior.

This is correct. One would need the multi prior to the type ride, or perform the ME maneuvers per the PTS during the ride.

A type rating program assumes you have the requisite instrument and multiengine privileges and knowledge. The instructor is NOT teaching you how to fly by reference to instruments nor is he giving instruction on the basics of multiengine operations.

This is most likely true at FlightSafety etc, but it doesn't have to be that way. There is nothing in the FARs that says one can't do all of his ME training in a Lear or even a 744. However, the checkride would then have to include all of the normal multi stuff plus Lear-specific stuff. I'm not aware of any outfit that does this type of thing, but there is nothing that prohibits it.

I'm aware of at least two guys who did all their training in a twin. Their Private Pilot checkride was also their multi checkride. Unusual, yes, but totally legal.

Was asked this today by one of my fellow instructors and didn't have a very good explanation......

If you have a commercial pilot rating ( no multi) and say you go to flight safety and get typed in a lear for example, will that count as a multi rating???

I said if might allow you to fly that specific a/c and others that fall under that type, but I doubt it would count as a multi engine rating.....

Any Comments?

You can't put a type rating on a certificate for a category and class of aircraft you are not certified to fly. So you can't put a type rating for a multi-engine airplane on a single engine restricted certificate.

You could do the multi-engine checkride and type ride at the same time, but you'd have to cover all the required items.

For example - if I take all the training for an instrument rating and pass the checkride even though I don't have an existing certificate should that automatically give me a private single engine? If it worked that way nobody would bother with the private pilot syllabus, what would be the point.

Well, in the old days (jeez, I'm starting to ache), you NEEDED 200 hours of total time before you could even apply for an instrument rating. I think that was pic time also. I forget what it is now,,,, Alzheimers, you know,,,,,,,,

Hung

Well, in the old days (jeez, I'm starting to ache), you NEEDED 200 hours of total time before you could even apply for an instrument rating. I think that was pic time also. I forget what it is now,,,, Alzheimers, you know,,,,,,,,

Hung

all you need now is a private pilot certificate and 20 hours dual recieved on ifr procedures.

Latest resources

Back