Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F16TJ

Elated Member
I was at Tyndall AFB on Friday and there are MU-2s there that fly as targets for the twin-tails, and I believe, as targets for the tiny-tot weapons controller school. Anybody know any employment information about "Air-1" and their MU-2s?

Thanks.

From your profile, you have fighter and multi experience, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. They pay about 60k or so, but no health insurance. Expect to fly about 50 hours a month, weekends and holidays off. Every once in a while, they need a pilot, so it couldn't hurt to call them. I work next door at the aero club and one of their pilots is also one of our instructors, so if you have any questions, let me know and I can ask.

Is that the same operation that runs the Dash8's. The white ones in semi military markings that radar along the right side of the fuselage.

F16TJ said:
I was at Tyndall AFB on Friday and there are MU-2s there that fly as targets for the twin-tails, and I believe, as targets for the tiny-tot weapons controller school. Anybody know any employment information about "Air-1" and their MU-2s?

Thanks.

With your fighter and C-21 background you are a perfect fit for Phoenix Air[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] [/font] in Carterville, Georgia. They have contracts very similar to the MU-2 contract, but a lot more interesting. I used to work both of these programs when I was on the ACC/DO staff.

http://www.phoenixair.com/force/home.html

LearLove...

LearLove said:
Is that the same operation that runs the Dash8's. The white ones in semi military markings that radar along the right side of the fuselage.

No, the Dash 8's (mil designation E-9) are flown by the active duty guys in the WEG (Weapons Evaluation Group). I have a good friend who flys them. The aircraft are in beautiful condition for 1984 models. Airframes only have about 5000 hours on them!

F16TJ said:
No, the Dash 8's (mil designation E-9) are flown by the active duty guys in the WEG (Weapons Evaluation Group). I have a good friend who flys them. The aircraft are in beautiful condition for 1984 models. Airframes only have about 5000 hours on them!

Thanks for that info TJ. Last spring I was told on this board that they (the E-9's) were staffed by a mix of mil and civ guys. I started to research it then the MidAtlantic thing came along for us WO guys and I went in that direcrion.

I used to do some range clearing for the Navy out of PAX river, Wallops and Dalgrin. It wasn't a bad job. Gas up and fly grids looking for boats (mostly fisherman) in the range. The Phoneix guys were around once and awhile towing targets and what not. Seemed like a good bunch of guys and not a bad gig. Sked akin to like Atlas where you gone on location for a few weeks then airline home for time off.

Last edited:
LearLove...

LearLove said:
Thanks for that info TJ. Last spring I was told on this board that they (the E-9's) were staffed by a mix of mil and civ guys. I started to research it then the MidAtlantic thing came along for us WO guys and I went in that direcrion.

I used to do some range clearing for the Navy out of PAX river, Wallops and Dalgrin. It wasn't a bad job. Gas up and fly grids looking for boats (mostly fisherman) in the range. The Phoneix guys were around once and awhile towing targets and what not. Seemed like a good bunch of guys and not a bad gig. Sked akin to like Atlas where you gone on location for a few weeks then airline home for time off.

They do have some civilian contractors who fly the E-9, you're right about that. Mostly, what I'm told is that it is the active duty guys. Very select group and probably hard to break into, though. You have experience doing the range clearing gig and I'm sure that would help.

Did you live down by Pax River? I'm just north of there.

I would suggest you go and sit right seat in an Mu-2 for a few hours and see if it's for you. This plane will eat your lunch when you'll least expect it. I don't care how much fighter time you have, it'll "f" with you.

rj

Anyway, I spoke to one of the pilots at Air First. He said to send them a resume and they will put it on file. They just got a new pilot in so the next time they might need somebody will be late this year.

F16TJ said:
They do have some civilian contractors who fly the E-9, you're right about that. Mostly, what I'm told is that it is the active duty guys. Very select group and probably hard to break into, though. You have experience doing the range clearing gig and I'm sure that would help.

Did you live down by Pax River? I'm just north of there.

F16TJ,

No I didn't live down at Pax River, I was based "north" at TTN (1997-1998) and did the TTN-Lakehurst-PAX run. Sometimes we'd stay down south at 2W6 where the company was based and do the range clearing and other "special" projects.

We had several pilots based "south" at PAX/2W6 that flew PAX-Lakehurst-TTN. One of them lived on a sailboat on Solomans (sp?) island down there. Us north pilots used to get in around 9am and waited until 3pm to fly home. If the south guy with the boat wasn't working and we did have any "special flying" he'd pick us up and we'd spend the day at the marina pool/bar and on the boat. It was a great gig even though it only paid 1000/month, but hey I had 400tt and it was my first job, they hired me right out of college. We worked Mon-Fri averaging 3 days/week, no weekend/holidays (the mil dosen't test fly on weekends holidays I guess).

Now I'm based in DCA and thinking about checking out that area south of Waldorf for a possible place to live if I can't get back to PHL. Obviously as a MidAtlantic FO I cannot afford to live in Arlington, VA around the DCA airport.

There were some pretty nice and affordable condos and townhomes in Hollywood, MD (just north of PTX). Back then they were 80 to 100 grand, probibly twice that or three times that now. Anyway I like it down there by PAX and wouldn't mind living there.

TJ, how long would it take you from where you are (north of PAX) to get to DCA? Best estimate, I know traffic here stinks. I assume your flying that Lear out of Andrews.

Take Care

Latest resources

Back