Two media helicopters collide in PHX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GIV Flyer

Scott Bowerbank, Director of Operations at Westcor Aviation, Pilot Newschopper 3, Jim Cox, Photographer Ch3, Craig Smith, Pilot Newschannel 15, and Rick Krolak, Photographer Ch15 all perished today in a helicopter crash over the the Phoenix skies. They were covering a stolen vehicle story. Our prayers and condolescences go out to all of the victims families. Rest in peace!

Saw the film. Sorry to all who knew them and their families. :( TC

I'm giving up watching the ***** news. It is NOT worth it.

Think about...4 people died because US, the VIEWER, is interested about some ***** dead-beat running a traffic stop.

That's pretty ***** pathetic if you ask me.

**** the news. Send me a ***** MEMO, I could give a ******!

Oh, yeah, condolences to the familes. Your loved ones died for absolutely NOTHING!

Mod Edit: Thanks for making me edit the F word 7 times. Real classy. I should give you some time off but I won't because I can tell emotions were involved here. "Creative Spelling" is not allowed to get around the censors.

Last edited by a moderator:
ULTRARUNNER ...

... and if you were unfortunate enough to be killed in an aircraft accident, what would people say you died for ???

Your post is full of disrespect.

You know, as unfortunate as this accident is, there is the suggestion that the guy in the chase might get charged with the death of the crewmembers. Now to me that is a complete foul. The guy on the chase may be a complete a$$hat but to pin the accident on him has no sense of justice.

These chopper pilots were not in a law enforcement capacity, I don't care how much one would want to argue that their footage helps apprehend criminals. They are there to provide a service and that service is to provide footage that gets ratings and makes money. If that doesn't have a noble ring to it, too bad, you can't have the cake and eat it too. I'm sorry about the devil's advocate posture, but I find it ridiculous that they would nail the guy for 4 deaths as a way to appease our voyeuristic, over-consumeristic, money-driven/obsessed societal vices, and help our society sleep better at night. Utterly ridiculous.

Taking the politics aside, I would like to believe that they died pursuing their passion in life, and I find that noble enough in my book. We should all be so lucky to attempt to pursue our passion in life, win or lose. Godspeed to these fellow aviators, the other crewmembers and my honest condolences to the families, may they be able to find peace in time, and honor their memories.

With no disrespect intended to the newsmen and pilots killed in this horrible accident, I think we must re-visit the concept of what is newsworthy regarding helicopter TV coverage of high-speed car chases. What benefit is there to society of four different helicopters, each broadcasting their own footage of the same event, all following at low altitude a minor criminal on a car chase. Sadly, we don't need to be reminded today of the risk. I'm trying to find the benefit.

If we really need to watch this on TV (I would submit it's more entertainment than news) maybe there should be a "pool" helicopter and camera to decrease the risks if another tragedy like this one.

Ya I'm hearing that on the news as well.. from a legal stand point it won't stick. Charging the a$$hole that started all of this...too bad if you ask me.

I'm sure if you could ask any of those 4 men they wouldn't have it any other way... they were doing what they LOVED just as all Aviators do. I'd rather go out like that than some other senseless act, at the hands of a some low life criminal.

This is why the aerial firefighting community has the Air Attack plane which provides logistical support and directs the traffic of the many low level airplanes and helicopters which are dropping on a fire, and manages the air space above of any news media aircraft.

The last recorded communications of one of the pilots was broadcast on TV and it indicated there was some confusion as to the location of the other helicopter.

There has always been a saying in the news industry 'If it bleeds, it leads'. And for chases that rule also applies. News agencies have been doing this and similar for many years. Unfortunately, the industry is driven by ratings and/or sales and as long as they are private enterprises that will continue.

Unfortunately, news helicopters have had an accident rate quite similar to EMS helicopters over the years. This is the accident that may change things. Hopefully not by the FAA mandating a fix. They will totally mess it up. The best way would be for the industry itself in conjunction with groups like HAI to cleanup their own mess.

Here is one easy fix... Get rid of the pilot/reporters! Flying a helo is hard enough with others around you, all going in an orbit over some dumb@$$ who stole a car. Add yacking your head off describing the scene and it is a recipe for disaster.

Let pilots be pilots and people who read the news read the news.

Latest resources

Back