• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Twin or Single: Airline Flight Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was attending Airline Training Academy. I know that tends to be a nasty phrase around here, but at the time it worked for me, especially since I already had a private license and didn't really have too much time to build for an instrument rating. The airline prep portion of the Academy was really the only part I could recomend, although I got lucky and had a great CFII and MEI. Having the possibility to interview at 400TT, if you know what you're doing, is what obviously draws most people there.

I recently looked into buying an Apache to build multi time and decided against it. The maintenance is outrageously expensive. Many A&P’s refuse to work on them. If you move up to a C-310 or Senica, the purchase price is higher and your fuel consumption increases dramatically. If you have less than 100 hours multi time, it is almost impossible to find a company that will insure you. I finally did find one that would; but was $3500/yr after I had 25 hours in type. Another factor is that it would take a long time to sell it given the current market conditions for older twins. I would suggest that you finish your CFI and then obtain the MEI after that. Get your twin time that way.

If you have the means to finish your advanced ratings and buy a smaller single engine aircraft; I would highly recommend the Grumman AA1’s. IMHO it’s the most fun and economical production aircraft available. You can find one that is IFR equipped with a low time airframe/engine for 22-25K. Through the owner’s club (www.aya.org), my insurance is $400/yr after a checkout with an AYA designated instructor. Fuel burn is 6 gal/hr. It’s VERY important that you do a thorough pre-purchase inspection. If you are mechanically inclined, there is a surprising amount of work that can be legally done yourself. My last annual was $175 since it was owner assisted. As I like to say, it’s nice to have a plane that you can afford to fly as much as you want.

Don't knock the Apache. They are old, and have many systems which will require attention, but with this mx properly budgeted and planned for it's still an economical way to build time in your own plane, flying when and where you want to go. Not true at all about trying to sell one. We just bought one four months ago and had a hard time because every (good) one we called on sold in the first day! We finally got lucky and found a very good bird that had not been advertised well.

Runs great on auto gas and the insurance isn't too bad split with a partner. The more you fly the cheaper the insurance is per hour since it's a fixed cost.

Our plane costs $78 per hour to operate including fuel, hangar, maintenance, prop ADs, and insurance. I've owned two other newer planes and this one's not any worse for mx/reliability. You just have to be careful, get the right one, and get a pre-purchase inspection from a mechanic AT A DIFFERENT FIELD than where the plane you're considering is currently based.

Anyone wanting to buy an Apache for time-building can PM me and I will give pointers on what to watch for and send a copy of a questionnaire to use when evaluating prospective purchases.

All that being said, I would start with a C-150 or PA28-140 if you are low time. Get a few hundred hours single engine experience first. It will be much cheaper and help keep you from busting your rear in a twin.

- Brett

Follow up to my earlier post:

I forgot in your original post you had 130 hours PA23 Aztec time. In this case you would be right at home in an Apache and insurance would be cheaper.

One thing to watch out for going from flying Aztecs to Apaches - BE SURE you know EXACTLY how to sump the fuel system. It's different, and the Apache is bad for water in the fuel system.

- Brett

Latest resources

Back