• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Twenty-year-old FO!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Love of flying is what ruined this industry in the first place.

Very well put. There's always someone willing to get paid less just for the experience.

Can you imagine the bitterness this punk will be dragging around by the time he's 30??? hehehehehehe...

BTW, I knew ALPA was fracked up but they don't even seem to know who the oldest retired Alpa member is. I know one that is 83 that sat on his airlines Safety and Negotiating comittees.

Geeze...

I guess we don't have to pay that much in "dues" anymore

dude can't even drink on the overnights!

If he didn't go to college, then thats even worse than the worthless aviation degree a lot of us got. You gotta have something to fall back on in this industry.

Its not the age that matters.....

Its this:
How many people out there know virtually nothing about the systems of the aircraft they fly or even basic airmanship techniques to determine VDP's or calculate a crossing restriction mentally? I was shocked at the number of incidents at my interim regional employer these past 3 years at the number of incidents of high altitude stalls with 'senior' flight crews at the controls. A crew literally flew a 70 seater at FL350 at 170Knots!!!

Cockpits have turned into a collection of beeping boxes much like a McDonalds kitchen is a collection of beeping timers telling the mindless employee when to flip a burger or pull the fries out of the hot oil. If the timer doesn't go off, the burger gets burned. There are way to many of us who would bust a restriction if a box failed; or would simply drop down to the altitude restriction immediately, burning gas and making for a bumpy and perhaps less safe ride. Of course the new technology is wonderful for safety as statistics show, but if the basic airmanship isn't there to back it up the makings of a disaster are in place. (ie Pinnacle Airlines ferry flight last year and Comair in LEX, another 'senior' crew).

And this:

The demands for entry into the profession need to be re-introduced. I haven't had any legitimate pre-employment apptitude/psych evaluation since that required for my employment at TWA. This sort of thing would diminish the possiblity of getting those not fit for the job in the cockpit -like my most recent newhire sim partner- who literally could not add two numbers together and crashed the airplane on take-off in a CPT because the flight director wasn't turned on. He just rolled the airplane over. Mind you, this guy wasn't 20 years old, he was a former regional captain who by virtue of being in the industry long enough, got on with a major. Poor apptitude passed on from one employer to the next.

Well said.

If we "pilots" really loved the industry and flying itself, why do we bash ourselves and our own profession?

1. We bash each other all the time over stupid ********************. Stop it.

2. We bash each other for wearing our uniforms. Our uniforms should be worn properly. And, we should be proud to wear them. It shows our dedication to our career and our high level of professionalism.

3. We bash each other for talking about airplanes. It is considered "not cool". Don't you think that if you talked about airplanes a little more, you might know something about them?

4. We consider it "uncool" to be immersed in an aviation education such as attending ERAU or DCA. We preach "get a degree outside of aviation". That, to me, is not a pure devotion to the education required to professionally pilot an aircraft. I learn more and more important stuff every class I take at ERAU. For example: human factors, calc, and physics.

Think about it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back