• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TWA Lawsuit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh and if the TWA pilots were the ones who voted in their own MEC and chose to be represented by ALPA, aren't they responsible as ALPA members? Will they have to make payments to themselves for their own wrong decision? Like a complicated Sudoku puzzle, sorry if I broke your brain.

The officers don't work in the Herndon office most of the time. They are almost always at the downtown office, a long way from a northern Virginia apartment. A decent two bedroom apartment in a nice neighborhood near the downtown office goes for quite a bit more than the $3k you were paying in Virginia.

The office should be in a Glen Burnie strip mall.

Oh and if the TWA pilots were the ones who voted in their own MEC and chose to be represented by ALPA, aren't they responsible as ALPA members? Will they have to make payments to themselves for their own wrong decision? Like a complicated Sudoku puzzle, sorry if I broke your brain.

Um, we're no longer represented by ALPA so, no, we won't be paying ourselves.

Secondly, you need to read up on the relationship between the MEC and ALPA National. The MEC acts as an arm of ALPA National which is why they can and do place unruly MEC's in receivership so they don't drag National into a DFR or something equally costly.

In this case, ALPA, while colluding with APA, moved to PREVENT the TWA MEC from acting in its member's best interests. Hence, the DFR.

TC

It could read like this in a few years...

Former Tranny pilots prevail in lawsuit against ALPA

A federal jury in New Jersey said that the Air Line Pilots Association did not fairly represent former Tranny pilots' interests when the carrier merged with Southwest Airlines.

The lawsuit, filed by ex-Tranny pilots in 2011, said the union pressured Tranny members during the merger discussions and acted in bad faith as ALPA, GK and SWAPA, which represents Southwest's pilots, negotiated a seniority list. Guadalupe bought Tranny's assets in 2011.

The jury also found that ALPA's "violation of its duty of fair representation," caused injury to some of Tranny's pilots. The jury has not yet been decided the amount of damages that should be awarded to the former Tranny employees.

Um, we're no longer represented by ALPA so, no, we won't be paying ourselves.

Secondly, you need to read up on the relationship between the MEC and ALPA National. The MEC acts as an arm of ALPA National which is why they can and do place unruly MEC's in receivership so they don't drag National into a DFR or something equally costly.

In this case, ALPA, while colluding with APA, moved to PREVENT the TWA MEC from acting in its member's best interests. Hence, the DFR.

TC

That still doesn't answer my primary question, who is going to pay for this and do you think it's fair that all present day ALPA members today are responsible? Why isn't the APA also responsible? Ethically, you can't say in good faith because of events 10 years ago, you expect a massive payout from all current and future airline pilots in ALPA. Is a United guy who retired in 2002 responsible? Who again is going pay for this? If a TWA pilot came out in a better position, got an elite job flying Citation X for zillionaire oil company home every night, will he still get a payout? Can I sue ALPA for not making me a zillionaire oil company home every night Citation X pilot? If every ALPA member just gave me a $100 we'd be cool.

Ethically, you can't say in good faith because of events 10 years ago, you expect a massive payout from all current and future airline pilots in ALPA. cool.

Yes, ethically, morally, legally you can expect that all current members of the class will pay for the award soon to be announced. It's the law.

ALPA national will be responsible for the payout. Just like if a large company had been sued, and lost. If employees and the CEO left in the meantime, then so be it. The money will still come out of the company's (or in this case ALPA's) coffers.

It isn't a ruling against Worth directly(as in a individual lawsuit), just against the organization. I hope the award is substantial. They screwed the pooch on this one.

The damages should come in around 700-800 million depending on the jury . Alpa really screwed up on this one. First by screwing the twa pilots then by not settleling out of court. This will fundementally change alpa which needs to be done especially alpa national which is broke. This is the legacy of Duane Worth who now works a cushy obama appointed government job.

True it will just send them to bankruptcy court if the award is much over what ever ALPA 's insurance pays. Couple buildings and some office stuff is all ALPA really owns that could be sold . You can't get blood from a rock as they say. Individual members are not responsible.

It isn't a ruling against Worth directly(as in a individual lawsuit), just against the organization. I hope the award is substantial. They screwed the pooch on this one.

You know, it was a wonderful sight being there in the courtroom when Duane Worthless was being cross examined. He was arrogant, short, and disrespectful towards the plaintiff's lawyers, judge and jury. He was visibly uneasy as he waited out a couple of sidebar conversations and would not look at anyone in the courtroom. His performance gave me the warm fuzzies on the future outcome of the lawsuit.

EXTW

Latest resources

Back