Tuskeegee Airmen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LJDRVR said:

Low n Slow, Chief Anderson gave Eleanor Roosevlt a ride in an L-4 Cub once. Neat piece of history there.

LJ, check this picture out from that 19th day of April in '41. He didn't look much different in that picture than he did whenever I met him in '94. I have a ton of respect for all of those airmen, what a remarkable group.

Ditto your remark regarding the American G.I.

Those Gentleman were the best and did it with one hand tied behind their back. They were true Americans with great spirit, heart, and drive. Tell them they can't do it, they'll do it and then some. I've come across many WWII Vets and I too wish they could stick around longer and teach us some old tricks. What an honor it must be to meet these guys. I need to head to Deleware, BBQ or not. Although I don't mind the perks!
As far as the movie goes, I wish the quality would have been better in the special effects department. It comes across more like a "B" movie and these guys deserve more than that. Either way I'm glad they're getting recognition!!

The part that I find the most interesting about this is their state of mind; how they viewed themselves.

First, they had already made achievements in the face of adversity as second class citizens. They obviously had gone to school and studied hard. They got good grades, and they weren't the only ones that did, I'll bet. They treated their elders with respect, and they respected themselves. They were art historians, doctors, and economists. They knew they could do this, and they accomplished what they set out to do.

Why is this unusual?

The difference is this: they never once pitied themselves, or bought into a victim mentality. They never claimed that they deserved special treatment at any point, they only wanted the opportunity to prove that they were just as good as anyone else. The idea of being placed in fighter aircraft for any agenda other than their accomplishments was unknown to them. They never thought of being uneducated or unable to speak properly as being a defendable aspect of cultural diversity. They never asked for a handout or a guaranteed outcome.

All they wanted was the opportunity to excel. They did so with distinction. Without hate, without pity, without special legislation.

My. How times have changed.

Last edited:
I wanted to add to this thread my experiences with the Tuskeegee Airmen. My first annual instrument checkride (after flight school and a tour in Vietnam) was with a Tuskeegee airman who was still on active duty as a ground assignment major in Germany. He needed to get somewhere and in the process of flying him to his destination, he renewed my instrument ticket. He had flown P-51's across the Alps during WWII.

I had the opportunity to attend a luncheon they held at the Air Force Academy and was the only white at the table. I asked them what qualified one for membership in their association. I was told that one would need to have gone through the "Tuskeegee experience." They did not accept that my having been a white instructor with all black students during an advisory assignment in Kenya was within the realm of the Tuskeegee experience.

When I was a troop commander, I entered a black poetry contest at Ft Carson (the only white to do so) and used the Tuskeegee Airmen as my theme in a laudatory piece. (Lost miserably).

On my next trip through training in Alabama, I drove up to Tuskeegee to see the old camp. I was surprised that the camp was not at the current Tuskeegee Airport but was several miles away. At that site, I could see the old block foundations of the barracks and such and felt the ghosts wandering through.

I appreciate their service to the nation and have a special gratitude for that service in light of the unheroic treatment of some of them off duty and as they returned to the civilian world.

It's sad that the Tuskeegee Airmen didn't get the recognition they deserved during WWII.It took some changing times for people to realize the impact that they had on america.As the numbers of these hero's continues to decline,we finally give the credit now which was so rightly deserved then.The group never lost a Bomber to enemy fire,and continued to fight for a country who would turn it's back on them and deminish the impact they made during the war.I for one am glad the Tuskeegee Airmen where there and the country now is a better place because of them.If I ever get the chance to meet a Tuskeegee Airmen,I would thank them for thier service to our country,and show the great admiration and appreciation for thier sacrifices.

You want to fly over here for the fly-in Victor? Just PM me if you want to, there's a front seat of a Stearman with your name on it.;)

Latest resources

Back