Turns after takeoff in IMC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SKYW Pilot said:
When's the earliest you can turn after departure in IMC. Say you're doing a 600 600 600 RVR takeoff and the DP requires a left turn to a heading. I've always heard 400 feet, but never been able to find it in the FAR's/AIM. Does the rule differ for IMC/VMC? Part 121/91? I fly for a 121 carrier and we don't have anything specified in our SOP when to turn, so I'm looking for the "Fed" answer. If anybody knows where to find it, can you post the reference? Thanks in advance!

The only place we have it is in our standard profiles - which is to say our standard takeoff profile has any departure turn commenced at 400 feet.

I believe, as others have posted, that's based in airplane certification and TERPs requirements.

CFIse said:
I believe, as others have posted, that's based in airplane certification and TERPs requirements.
It has nothing to do with airplane certification...the 400-ft initial turn applies to Part 23, CAR3, and Aeronautical Bulletin 7a aircraft as well...and as far as I've found, none of these aircraft have any mention of 400 feet in their certification requirements.

As an aside, I heard a rumor that the 400-ft minimum for second segment came about because that was where the DC-3 engine had to be reduced to METO power in order to prevent overheating in single-engine takeoff procedures. Highly entertaining, if it's true ;)

Fly safe!

David

midlifeflyer said:
AIM 5-2-6.b.1.

Thanks, I'm relieved that the TERPs isn't the only official source for important operational information like that, but a little embarrased I didn't know where to find it.

I believe 400' was in our Ops Specs or GOM.

That's great! Finally found it! The ref is actually 5-2-7.b.1 according to the AIM on the FAA website. Thanks for the reference!!

(psssst. Someone throw me a bone. TERPS is floating somewhere in my head, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. But shhhhhh. don't let this get out.)

Terminal and Enroute Procedures

Tonala2k said:
(psssst. Someone throw me a bone. TERPS is floating somewhere in my head, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. But shhhhhh. don't let this get out.)

Propnose said:
Terminal and Enroute Procedures

What he said, except I think it's Terminal and Enroute Procedure Standards. At any rate, if you don't know, it's the standards for desigining instrument approaches and airways. It should be pointed out that although it is very good background information for pilots, it does not specify how you should/must fly. Pilots get confused about this sometimes.

Example: the TERPS says that the maximum descent gradient on the intermediate segment of an approach is XXX ft/ nm, that doesn't mean that the pilot can't descend at a steeper gradient if need be, it just means the approach can't be designed steeper.

BTW, Don't worry, your secret is safe with all 29,571 members of this forum, we won't breathe a word.

Latest resources

Back