• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Turbulence and convective activity

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Total Time
NA
So does it shove small airplanes around more easily than it does large airliners? Sometimes it feels like I just have no control over what I'm doing as the Cherokee bouces around in the air. It makes for a rough ride, and a feeling of sub-standard stick/rudder skills...

GravityHater

Total Time
UnAnswerd said:
So does it shove small airplanes around more easily than it does large airliners?

yes. It is harder to displace a heavier object with the same size force, as it is a lighter one.
Has to do with physics;.. momentum and inertia.

If you are getting your butt kicked, you just have to ride it out. I flew with a guy last week in continuous moderate; a light single. Every time a wing popped up, he slapped it down twice as hard and fast, usually overshooting level. I was thinking I'd have to take some dramamine.... it really wasn't that bad except for his over-controlling. Think of it like being in a boat (if you have done some boating). You can't counteract every wave, every deviation from the course, you just want to make sure that on average, you are heading in the right direction.

Last edited:

minitour

I agree with gravityhater.

The main problem I see with students is overcontrolling.

Hell, I used to do it. Then I realized I would be less tired and still make it in one piece if I just let the airplane come back to normal. After a few seconds if it isn't level, I'll give it a nudge...but if it's turbulence, I expect to get tossed around. No biggie.

-mini

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Total Time
7,000+
UnAnswerd said:
So does it shove small airplanes around more easily than it does large airliners? Sometimes it feels like I just have no control over what I'm doing as the Cherokee bouces around in the air. It makes for a rough ride, and a feeling of sub-standard stick/rudder skills...
Wait until you're using 90 percent of your rudder and aileron to get the upwind tire on the pavement, then the nose wheel, then that retarded downwind tire...and the landing aint even half over with yet.