Turbojet vs. Turboprop time at majors.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aviator1978

I know that the mins for some of the legacy (Delta, Continental, Southwest) carriers just want turbine time. But is there any true preference between having the time in a turboprop versus a jet?

A year ago in my class, everyone had jet time. My guess is that since the pool to fish from is SOOO FULL of qualified regional jet capt's they would not need to search for turbo-prop capt's. If you "know" someone then I would guess that it wouldn't matter - your time would just need to be turbine. Bottom line is PIC turbine - get it the fastest way you can.

Baja.

In my new-hire class at Delta, we had two Mesaba guys that only flew the Saab. I don't think they care about Prop vs RJ time, it is the person that matters.

You can train a guy to fly an airplane, you cannot train his personality.

Back before RJs existed thousands of pilots readily made the transition from their regional turboprop to a legacy jet. Many pilots continue to do so, with the concurrence of airline recruitment. It is a blessed world.

<---100% RJ Free.

Almost 900 of my pic time is in a King Airs/1900s, and Southwest never batted an eye. Turbine is turbine, whether it swings a prop for a fan--fill out the apps, and get them in!

Latest resources

Back