Turbo Pa-30 question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

darien

I luv the numbers this little twinkie puts up. Cruise close to 200kts with the turbo and speed mods on 16-18gph. My question is to the guys who have flown a turbo. What kind of speeds do you get at lower altitudes 8000-12000. I currently only fly in florida so do not have need to fly high but would like to fly faster. Currently flying b33 cruise 160kts and want to move up to a twin that moves and pa30 meets my needs, but I'm not familiar with the turbo engines and their effects on performance.

Of all the Piper twin products, the old twin Commanche is about the only one I'd ever consider....but I've never flown/owned one to tell you for sure.

A year and a half ago, I traded my Bonanza off for a C340. I love the cabin size, comfort, and no more having a hose up my nose, etc., but it doesn't really fly "fast" until it gets way up into the flight levels.

An older, normally aspirated C310 is faster up to the teens, and the T310R will outrun it regardless of the altitude, but there's something really nice about pressurization.

Around here, density altitudes of 9-10,000 ft. are common in the summer and MEA's of 12,000+ are just about everywhere in/out of here, and to get above most wx, takes something that goes well into the 20's, which are a few of the biggest reasons I bought a turbo-charged/pressurized airplane.

But it comes at a price. Fortunately, my last annual in November was cheap (cost of the inspection and a few nuts/bolts that didn't add up to much $), but that's not the norm.

Twins just flat cost more money, and the time savings doesn't always add up to more than a few minutes on an average flight. It's heady to see 200ktas on the GPS unit, but on short legs (you stated you only fly in FL), there isn't much time savings between that and 160 ktas.

A shorter preflight, quicker warm-up, mid-field takeoffs/short field landings, and not having to wait the 5 min. to let the turbos cool down after you land can wipe out alot of the in-flight time savings.

Well the turbo engine will allow to produce its rated power up to a certain altitude. Maybe 12k, it depends.

Turbo mainly lets you fly higher, where you get higher TAS. But then comes the need to wear o2.

My option, if you aren't a jet you don't belong in the flight levels.

I've never flown a Twin Commanche; but like most turbo versions of normally aspirated aircraft, I'd expect the turbo to be a little slower at altitudes below 10,000'. I wouldn't bother with turbocharging if you're only planning on flying below 12,000' - I can't see where the slight additional performance would be worth the additional maintenance expense.

'Sled

machaf said:
I got an option for ya, pinhead.

machaf said:

Well....I'll think about your opinion when I'm at FL's 200/210 going cross-country direct while the jets above me can't get it...

That's the real beauty of a pressurized twin that flies in the low flight levels. I automatically file "direct" and have only been denied "cleared as filed" once in a year and a half.

Latest resources

Back