Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TAG2

Goldmember
I am looking for a good personal airplane. I am typed in several jets from Citation to G550 when I flew for a living. Looking at operating costs of the jets, I am not sure I want to jump in that deep. I have flown enough piston twins, that I know I don't want to go that route. I have never flown any Commanders, but from looking around the internet, I am starting to think either a 690B with -10's or even the newer 840/900/980/1000 models. It seems some of the bugs and SB's have been worked out with the later models. The performance and fuel economy seem to be unrivaled. MX with the 5400 TBO may also equate to lower costs.

I am looking for any input from pilots that have operated these airplanes. What are your thoughts on them and are they really the mx hogs that they are rumored to be. The 300 kts @ 500 lbs/hr is really great, but if it is in the shop every other week, I will look elsewhere. It also seems parts and support are better today than it was a few years ago. What's the real world deal with these?

Thank you in advance.

I cant help much with the Turbo commander as I've only rode in a couple. I remember they climb like a Otis elevator. Have you checked out MU-2's? I fly a -10 "K" model occasionally and I really like it. Seems to be a lot of bang for the buck.

They break a lot. A Turbo for a personal airplane? Yikes. If you really want one, I believe Aero Air in Portland, OR sells some with updated glass panels.

A few thoughts

If I were looking for a personal A/C as you are, I think I wold gravitate to the MU line of thinking. The Turbo Commander was the choice of the drug lords and the DEA back in the day.

You sound like the type of person that gets the proper training in the equipment he flies. If you do so in the MU, you should be fine. I would also consider a bird that can be flown single pilot. That increases your flexibility. I would also consider a single pilot Citation. Available parts and maintenance are propable better than either of the Turbo props.

It all comes down to cost-benefit choices and the majority of the missions you plan on flying, distance, runways, payload, etc.

Wish I had such hard decisions to make!

Good luck,

Jeff

I flew a brand new 980 for a corporate operator many years ago and have several hundred hours in type.

Avg TAS was 280-290 k with good fuel flows. We had cabin noise/vibration problems because of that big picture window in the 840/980. The 1000 model was quieter due to the smaller individual cabin windows.

We did not have continual maint problems with the airframe/engine.

I hear the plane has several maint shops across the country that specialize in Turbo Commanders. Do some research and inquire about spare parts availibility.

I flew a 690 for a couple years, real pilot's airplane. Easy to fly single pilot. TAS about 250 at FL250. Burned about 60 gal/hr. had a lot of MEL right ups on a continuing basis. If you don't have a local mechanic who knows the bird, you cna spend a lot of money while the guy learns your airplane. The one I flew had a freon A/C system without it you will melt in the cockpit if the outside temp is above 70F. We also had the Q tips on the props very quite inside. Owners decided to get a King Air 200, they were very disappointed in the increase in cost for more room in the cabin. If I win the lotto it would be on my list as a personal A/C if I can not afford a DA-20.

Do yourself (and your pocketbook) a favor and get a C90 Kingair.

They may not be as pretty or as fast, but they are much more reliable than a 690. I used to work at a place that had a couple of 690's- they were always broke. TPE331's are throw away engines. Commanders are the Volvo of the skies- pretty cool until you gotta get it fixed.

http://http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/qotd-x2-who-here-has-the-most-miles-on-a-car-whats-the-most-you-ever-attained/
Do yourself (and your pocketbook) a favor and get a C90 Kingair.

They may not be as pretty or as fast, but they are much more reliable than a 690. I used to work at a place that had a couple of 690's- they were always broke. TPE331's are throw away engines. Commanders are the Volvo of the skies- pretty cool until you gotta get it fixed.

Latest resources

Back