Turbine?? Complex??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

T-REX

I remember the reg. saying a complex aircraft was one with a constant speed prop., flaps, and retractable gear from the commercial pilot training days. But is a turbine aircraft with fixed gear (eg. Cessna 208, Twin Otter) complex. My initial thought is obviously not...but I also remember reading a turbine aircraft can be flown for the CFI rating.
Please help....and i checked FAR 1 for definitions already without luck.

of the top of my head the reg states "...or a turbine powered..."

checking the faa web here is the reg in the subpart under commercial flight experience:

"10 hours of training in an airplane that has a retractable landing
gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller, or is turbine-powered, or
for an applicant seeking a single-engine seaplane rating, 10 hours of
training in a seaplane that has flaps and a controllable pitch propeller;"

so the answer is yes a turbine is complex.

The answer is not that a turbine is complex, but that 14 CFR 61.129(a)(3)(ii) allows for either an airplane with retractable gear, flaps and a controllable propeller, OR one that is turbine powered. It doesn't state that a turbine powered airplane is complex, and it doesn't specifically call for a complex airplane.

Further, the turbine engine doesn't negate the requirement for retractable gear and flaps. A proper rendering of that passage shows that you need either a controllable propeller, or a turbine engine (the inference being an airplane without a propeller).

Additionally, 61.31(e) doesn't use this definition. Therefore, a difference exists between the definition of a complex airplane, and an airplane that meets the requirements of 61.129(a)(3)(ii).

Latest resources

Back