Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

yeahguy

I'm looking for some advice.

I am 6 credits short of a Master's Degree and have used the Navy's dime all the way, which I like.

The trouble is that for my last 2 classes, I now find myself bumping against the 2 year obligation incurred for the TA. It may interfere with my career plans.

I'm considering getting off active duty (stay Reserve) when my bonus expires in 18 months, at which time I'll have 13.5 years in. Some of you may think I'm crazy to get out 6.5 years short, so do I sometimes, but I want to keep all my options open.

I've tried searching the fine print on TA because I would hate to unnecessarily extend my service obiligation, especially when we're only talking about $1500. That kind of money, in exchange for an extra year of active duty (putting me at closer to 14.5 years in before I'm eligible to get out) does not seem like a worthwhile trade.

So I think I have 3 options:

1. Take the TA and stay in until 14.5 (or 20?).
2. Take no classes and wait a year to decide if I'm getting out, then take the TA if I decide to stay in.
3. Use GI Bill (which I don't think I can ever completely spend) to take the last 2 classes, that way I can keep all my options open.

Basically, I want to keep all my options open, whether it be staying AD or getting out, all while completing the Master's Degree that I have spent the last 2 years on.

Now that I have written all of the above, it begs the other question that I've skirted around: should I get out and go SWA, or I should stick around for the 20 year retirement?

Thanks for any advice.

I used TA and was still within the 2 year window when I separated. The issue never came up. However, I think that VSP commitments were a non-factor due to force shaping.

You can always pay it back and pay for the next classes out of pocket.

Thanks for the reply.

That was some of the fine print I was looking for...can you pay it back if you elect to separate?

Sounds like you got to separate and you didn't have to pay it back. I like that option even more.

I'll keep looking in the fine print for any "opt out" clauses.

Thanks again.

I would recheck your TA obligation. I have used, and am still using TA in two services and the obligation has been and still is, one year not two. It may be different for your service but it would worth a look.

I also used GI Bill for the same reason when I left my prior service and it worked pretty well. Lots of folks said it was a waste of money as GI bill on active duty only pays for the class. But I got my degree which is what I was looking for in the first place and still had a lot left to use.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back