TSA's Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response (VIPR) teams

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All,

I fly for a Fractional airline. We are required to participate in the Twelve-Five Security Program. As part of that program we routinely close and lock our aircraft doors even when we just have to run back into the FBO for something.

In my travels I notice a lot of corporate jets left unattended with the main cabin door open. Although this is the way it has been done since time out of mind, I just want to remind everybody that the TSA VIPR teams perform random checks on GA ramps across the country.

Keeping your main cabin door locked when your aircraft is left on the ramp not only helps in the war on terror, yes it is a very real war, it will also keep you from becoming up to $10,000 poorer.

Just a word to the wise.

Really?..."a lot" of unattended jets? I have never seen one, even prior to 9/11. I also know of no operator that does not address this in an operations manual/SOPs/ISBAO Audits etc etc.. Yes, we have those too!

I'm guessing there's bigger fish to fry over in fractional world? - like furloughs and broken business models?

Thanks for the heads up though...:cartman:

Last edited:
Didnt know that was in the constitution

I never said it was.

Also, It's not my place to speak for the current mess the fractionals are in, I'm just posting an observation and trying to keep fellow pilots out of trouble.

That "war on terror" statement was a joke, by the way.

I never said it was.

Also, It's not my place to speak for the current mess the fractionals are in, I'm just posting an observation and trying to keep fellow pilots out of trouble.

That "war on terror" statement was a joke, by the way.

Sorry didn't pick up the humor...cheers

The TSA worries me actually. There are no checks and balances and the sheer lunacy of what they've done without remorse is mind numbing. I'm not losing any sleep over it but once they make a serious effort to secure GA life might get interesting.

better yet where does one find anything in the Constitution that gives the Federal Government the authority to mandate this?

Interstate Commerce Clause... that's the catch all they love to use to justify the unjustifiable...

All,

I fly for a Fractional airline. We are required to participate in the Twelve-Five Security Program. As part of that program we routinely close and lock our aircraft doors even when we just have to run back into the FBO for something.

In my travels I notice a lot of corporate jets left unattended with the main cabin door open. Although this is the way it has been done since time out of mind, I just want to remind everybody that the TSA VIPR teams perform random checks on GA ramps across the country.

Keeping your main cabin door locked when your aircraft is left on the ramp not only helps in the war on terror, yes it is a very real war, it will also keep you from becoming up to $10,000 poorer.

Just a word to the wise.

Where does the 12-5 program say you have to lock your plane when you go into the FBO?

Where does the 12-5 program say you have to lock your plane when you go into the FBO?
All I hear is crickets out of the OP. I would just like to know where these rules are written that I'm supposed to be following?

I would also like to know what a fractional "airline" is?

The TSA worries me actually. There are no checks and balances and the sheer lunacy of what they've done without remorse is mind numbing. I'm not losing any sleep over it but once they make a serious effort to secure GA life might get interesting.

It could get ugly. But, credit where credit is due: the TSA has definitely done their part for private aviation. Every insult they heap upon commercial flyers leads to sales on the private side. ;-)

Latest resources

Back