Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

snozberry

By Alan Levin, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — The agency overseeing security at the nation's airports failed for years to track security passes and uniforms of former employees, creating widespread vulnerability to terrorists, says a government watchdog report obtained by USA TODAY.
The Transportation Security Administration lacked centralized controls over the secure passes issued to some of its employees, according to Department of Homeland Security Inspector General Richard Skinner. The passes grant people access to the most sensitive areas of an airport, such as where baggage is screened or planes are parked.
Investigators found numerous cases in which former employees retained their passes long after they had left the agency.
The investigation also found that TSA uniforms were frequently not collected when employees left or were transferred.
People using improper badges, IDs or uniforms — particularly in combination — "could significantly increase an airport's vulnerability to unauthorized access and, potentially, a wide variety of terrorist and criminal acts," the report said.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Transportation Security Administration | Kip Hawley | D-Miss
House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said the findings confirm his fears that there is inadequate oversight of who gets into airports. "The risk of unauthorized access to the secure areas of our airports is unacceptable," Thompson said in a statement.
Thompson supported legislation that increased scrutiny of airport workers after employees were caught smuggling weapons and drugs into secure areas.
TSA chief Kip Hawley says the agency agrees with most of the inspector general's findings and began following the recommendations from investigators before the report was completed. The agency is tightening oversight of security passes, requiring collection of passes from officers who leave the agency and improving tracking of employee uniforms.
"While we believe the … report overstates deficiencies as well as any potential associated security risk, we share the interest in improving our processes," Hawley wrote in response to the report.

I guess we now know the real reason why the TSA had to spend millions of tax payers dollars on new uniforms. And to think, this whole time I was respecting their authority that much more since they were wearing blue. I feel duped.

The new uniforms have infected CVG now, saw a few of them on the shuttle the other day. I had to bite my cheek to keep from laughing because they looked like such tools.

What I noticed right away was that the shield and the nametag they get identify the wearer as an "officer." I'm sorry but unless you've through OCS or the police academy, you're not an officer as far as I'm concerned.

Time for the JetBlue pilots to step up to
the plate. TSA is needs to be sued for copyright infringement. This is not a dig on the JBers. You guys have probably the nicest uniforms in the industry, and it needs to be defended. What next? JB pilots having passengers bend over for secondary screening before boarding at the gate, or pilots of other carriers asking for jumpseats at the metal detector?

Jet Blue needs to change their uniforms to look like real airline pilots. Not bus drivers or now tsa keystone cops. Jet blue uniforms are not as bad as ups drivers but a close second.

Jet Blue needs to change their uniforms to look like real airline pilots. Not bus drivers or now tsa keystone cops. Jet blue uniforms are not as bad as ups drivers but a close second.

I think we're working on pay and benefits improvements....but white shirts are right up there on the list....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back