Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TSA will check ur bag without you there!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dsee8driver

I have been reading and listening (NPR) about this absolute bag check rule that takes effect today. At places where the airport does not have the machinery installed they will hand search your CHECKED baggage WITHOUT you being there. What do you guys and gals think about this? I travel commercial every week to get to my trips and I don't know if I want some TSA guy looking through my bag while I'm not there. I got some $hit a few months back because I could not fit the container of protein shakes in my bag so I had it in a ziplock with the label on it. What's gona happen when I'm not there and they have questions? I can see a can of worms being openned up with this rule.

You **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** skippy!! What they are giving out are red zip locks. Now if they have to get into your suitcase then they cut it, place the red zip and note saying we broke into your crap. Missing something call this number (Yeah Right). Then put a blue zip back on your suitcase.

I can see it now. All the TSA TRASH going through your crap. "**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** yo look nice necklace. Think my baby's momma would like it." Or man I need a new jacket, nice shirt, sweater, etc... you get the picture...

I put some Creatine in a ziplock bag maybe 2 years ago and got to meet all the local authorties until everything got straightened out.

To point out the obvious, if this bothers you (as it does me) then reduce your payload enough to fit in a carry on. In my entire career as an airline pilot, I have never checked a bag, even going to training. Everything fits in my 22" Travelpro and an additional bag if necessary. Your crew ID allows you to circumvent the "1 carryon + a 'personal item' rule".

Secondly, think about the liability the TSA (and the airlines) are taking on with this. I can't wait for people to start claiming losses of items they never had.

Of course, on the flip side, I'm sure the burden of proof will rest upon the passenger to prove they had the item. Yeah, I have a reciept for that heirloom jewelry Grandma gave me.

I guess from now on, people should be smart and not check a bag containing something you can't afford to lose. Assume your bag will be pilfered, because in all reality, it probably will be.

Who's in favor of the old Hershey bar trick?!!! ;)

I agree with IFly on two points,

First, Don't bother taking something you can't afford to lose or replace.

Second, Put a chocolate bar in your skivvies and put it on top of everything else. If I happened to open a bag and see that then chances are I'd close it back up immediately.

Ugh, I am not to interested in someone else digging in my bag without me there either!
I usually get most of the traveling done with a roller carry on (barely fits overhead in F100) and by "backpack" (laptop pack).

One thing that does surprise me is that I haven't seen any comments about the positive changes in airport screeners since TSA. Some of you REALLY don't like them.

When I would go through a post-9/11 checkpoint at a non-TSA airport, the people were hard to understand, hard to deal with, often rude, inconsistant rules, etc, etc, etc (nothing good). With the TSA taking over in AUS, I have sought out a supervisor several times to provide positive feedback with the professionalism and impathy the screeners displayed. Did I like having them wand check me and x-ray my shoes, NO! Did they treat me like they would like to be treated, Yes. I still don't like being "assumed guilty", but they didn't write those rules.

I do agree that it is crazy to give flight crews so much crap! One possible solution would be what I would love to have (and would pay for!)... A VOLUNTARY travel ID card. I would pay a reasonable amount for a background check (maybe up to $300) so they (da man, who ever that is) would issue me a picture ID (or a revised passport) that denotes I have been "checked out". Sure, I still expect to be metal detected (gun check) and xrayed, but could you pass on the "random boodie probes" please!

Thoughts ? (good / bad)?

Dont give them any more ideas on taxing us. Next thing you know you will have to swipe your credit card before going through TSA.

They cant even get thier act together on a ID pilot license. 50 States have drivers licenses programs...... You would think they could take a look at oneof those.....I mean come on

I (as a passenger) surely do have a problem with the "Gestapo" going through my bags. I even have a problem with them putting them through that "collossal-waste-of-money-baggage-screening-machine". I "feel" so safe though...famous last words.

I for one will be driving as much as possible.:mad:

tsa

About a month ago, I flew as a confirmed passneger on Spirit Airlines. I checked one, small, locked piece of luggae...nothing but clothes and shoes in it. When I claimed it, both the lock and the zipper had been cut off. No one seems to know what happened...not Spirit, not the TSA. Oh, and no one is repsonsible for this unusable bag except me.

I say...let the lawsuits against the TSA begin!!!!

Latest resources

Back