TSA - Security program for 135/121

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cvsfly

After reviewing the posts on airport security, especially the one on the HNL AA pilot incident, I do not have warm fuzzies from our newest bureaucratic entity.

Does any small Part 135 company have a clue as to compling with the new "Twelve-five" security program requirement? When I first saw it I thought it was appling to aircraft operators OVER 12,500lbs MTOGW keeping in line with the other regulations that pertain to 12,500 lbs. But after re-reading it I see that it is inclusive of 12,500 lbs. (We operat a BE-200). Is the comment period still open? I have not found any guidance as to the format (NBAA is not clear on it yet) Of course by definition some info is sensitive and not for public access, but how are other operators compling with this and meeting the 6/24/02 deadline? In particular to "cockpit door locks" and what Bill Cliton might ask, what is the definition of a door? Does the partion sliding "door" on a BE-B200 constitute a door that needs a lock. I for one will not use it if it impedes evacuation.

Yeah you are correct. I don't have that warm fuzzy either. The new TSA is a bunch of ex cops most of who have NEVER worked in aviation security. As for the managers who did work in aviation security and let things get as bad as they did, well, many got promoted to six figure jobs. As for the FAA special agents who begged for change and reform PRE 9/11. They may get fired so Mcgaw can show congress that he did something. So who will take their places? Ex cops, who never worked security.

Which congress people know security was a problem pre 9/11? All of them. I know for a fact that the Louisiana delegation knew of the seriousness of AVSEC since June 2000. They were given the heads-up from a former red team leader, Navy SEAL, and FAA Special Agent. What did they do with the information he gave? Well almost 4,000 people died. I'll let you guess what those congress people they did with the information.

No,like you I don't have that warm fuzzy either. Unfortunately the terrorist do have it because they know our congress is dysfunctional. God bless our great nation. He is our only hope when congress chooses to stick its head into the sand.

Keeping post alive and adding...

Just wanted to try to get more input on this. Additionally, have any small aircraft charter operators heard from USDA - APHIS lately. They caught up with us for collecting APHIS user fee for international passengers (excluding Canada) inspection services. I was not aware of the fee before. I had tried to read the reg. 7 CFR 354.3 and my take on it was that if nobody was transporting any food/plant stuff and you didn't provide meal service (above pre-packaged snacks) you were exempt. But apparently we are supposed to collect $3.10 from each pax that clears customs for this Agricultural inspection and remit it quarterly.

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about the new security program for 135 companies, but I have heard a little bit about it. From what I understand, all 135 companies that operate any a/c more than 12,500lbs must adhere to these new security measures. The largest plane I fly is a King Air 100 (under 12,500lbs) but because we do have some heavier a/c on our certificate, I too must be fingerprinted. We had a local police officer come in to discuss how all our employees would be finger printed, and if I remember correctly I think he said that if we are finger printed, our records will indicate an arrest. I guess up until this point, anyone that they finger printed was done so because they were arrested. He said that there may be a way around this but he wasn't sure and would have to look into it. Are there any law inforcement officers on this board that might know for sure?

I'm not sure about about the cockpit door locks either, but I would prefer to leave the partition open to ease evacuation.

Be careful of the wording in the reg. It is for commercially operated aircraft 12,500 lbs and above. It is inclusive of 12,500, like the BE-200, which goes against other regulations that refer to aircraft above 12,500 lbs.

We have a 135 certificate and operate a Hawker and Lear 60. I have been put in charge of dueling with the TSA. The plan as it is presently written leaves alot of grey in how air carriers go about doing everything they want. They want fingerprinting done, however, they are doing this with the help of the FBI and have not published who exactly is authorized to do the task. I have e-mailed NBAA for some help on the matter, but I haven't received a reply yet. The NBAA has issued some of their grievances with the TSA concerning the program and hopefully things will get straightened out. They also say that you have to submit your company security program by sometime this June, but they don't tell you where to send it. After reading most of Part 1544 I finally threw my hands up in disgust because they can't write anything in plain English anymore. Most of what they are trying to accomplish sounds like revamping the 135 operators and changing them into a Part 121 operator. If you happen to find out any other hard info please let me know and I will do the same.

Thanks, I'm with you. I just hope we can argue the point on the cockpit "door" having a lock installed. The King Air has a sliding partion to the cockpit that I would have to take the Bill Clinton stance as to "what is the definition of a door?" I think I would file a NASA report every time I flew with the "door" open since it is the only escape route in an emergency.

Latest resources

Back