TSA Security Nazis At Work

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Capn Lucky said:
The TSA is a huge improvement over the contract burger flippers. They seem to be alot more on the ball.

Forcing forty year old women to drink their own breast milk? We can't see your face, Capn Lucky, so tell me: are you saying that the TSA guys are more on the ball with a straight face?

We need to focus on the bad guys.

Absolutely! I couldn't agree with you more. And airline pilots, children, and forty year old lactating women are not the bad guys. If all nineteen of the hijackers had been red-headed mormons, who would we be watching carefully today? I'm sorry folks, but profiling is completely appropriate.

I gotta tell you, though, I'd much rather see the money and effort spent on biometric screening than arming pilots. If I can get to my workplace without having to be subjected to a TSA anal probe once or twice a day, that'd make me feel a lot better!

One last point: this whole discussion is probably moot. Why? Because Al Queda is not going to hit us at the airport again. Think about it. Why would they try to attack us where we're already looking...unless they just wanted to embarass the TSA?

Someone please explain 'Biometric' screening or profiling?

Beavis said:
Someone please explain 'Biometric' screening or profiling?

"Biometric screening" means fingerprinting, retina scans, etc. It means some way of providing positive physical identification of the individual.

"Profiling" means we start focusing our attention on 18-40 year old Arab males, as opposed to children and little old ladies.

Was locking up every Japanese-American after December 7th a good idea. No, absolutely not. Was locking up every Japanese individuals who hung around military bases with binoculars and a note pad a good idea? Yeah, probably so.

I'll rephrase myself...

The TSA is less bad than the contract screeners. I didn't think the idiots who abused that woman were TSA. My thesis is that the entire systems needs to focus on the bad guys through the CAPPS system or through profiling. The idiots who humiliated that woman need to be smacked silly regardless of who signs their paychecks.

Don't assume that the screeners who made the women drink their breast milk were TSA screeners, remember there's only a few airports where the are official TSA employees (it could have been, I didn't see where it was). I think there's going to be another 30 more this month and then a bunch in Sept and Nov. After Nov they'll all be TSA screeners, unless congress changes the deadline.

One of my guys went to work for Atlas a couple of years ago. He has been telling me about some of the things that security is doing in MIA. Atlas being a cargo carrier, it is my understanding that the new security regs at MIA require the flight crew and any passengers be screened. In one case they had a law enforcement officer (Sky Marshall?). Security screened him, he had his Glock, vest and MP5. No problem, he had all the proper paperwork and notifications. The screener finds the officer's nail clippers, confiscates them and proceeds to dress the officer down, very verbally. The Captain who is standing in a corner watching this, starts laughing at the sheer stupidity of the situation. What happens? The Captain is arrested for interferring with the security screeners.

Another case at Atlas he told me about was the flight engineer had his leatherman confiscated as a weapon. Even after he took the screener to the cockpit ahd showed her the bright orange painted crash axe and crowbar.

But in some ways it has always been like that. Back during Desert Storm, my FO and I had our flashlight confiscated because that contained batteries. What did I do? Delayed the flight until sun up. What else could I do? My reward? A week off without pay.

Remember Senator McCarthy? Until we as an industry put our foot down, they will keep doing this stupid crap. Like Don't let common sense over-ride the rules. What can you do? Not a whole lot directly. Trip reports and the like to the Chief Pilot. If you're one of the pilots, remember, they can't leave without you. And it's a lot harder to push dodo up hill than it rolls down hill.

From what I have seen, just a few have a Rambo/Dirty Harry attitude. The majority seem to be trying to do their best with confusing rules and requirements.

But what the government should have done was put airport security in charge of the old SAC security. Never heard of anyone stealing or hijacking a loaded B52, have you?

BREAST MILK

ONLY IF SHE IS CUTE COUNT ME IN ,,, I'D TRY THAT.

IT JUST GOES TO SHOW WHY MORE AND MORE PEOPLE MAY JUST START TO LEARN TO FLY ON THERE OWN,,,,,,,,,,,,

MAKES ME GLADE TO BE A PILOT, I FLY MY SELF WHERE EVER I WANT TO GO.:p

This letter to the editor in the July 22, 2002 issue of Aviation Week & Space Technology caught my eye:

----------

OLD BOYS AT THE TSA

James Stover's letter "Protecting Their Own?" hit the nail on the head (AW&ST July 1, p. 6)

During the past 28 years, I have been president and CEO of six Part 121 air carriers, as well as being a director of security and director of safety. I have written many CFR 49, Part 107 and 108 security manuals, ensuring compliance with the security rules for aircraft and airports.

I, too, was contacted by Korn/Ferry and told to expect a video-conference interview within two weeks. Two weeks came and went, as did several months. I kept in touch, asking why the delay? When we first spoke, my contact told me he had been instructed to concentrate on the 10 major airports and to come up with "high-profile" candidates for them so the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) could do a "dog-and-pony" show on TV regarding airport security.

The TSA did strut the first hires on TV, all high-profile but lacking any expertise with airport and/or aircraft security. My contact told me I did not fit the TSA's definition of high-profile, but after the dog-and-pony show, I would be interviewed. So I waited, waited, waited.

Eventually, my contact told me the TSA requirements had changed and Korn/Ferry was instructed to hire only politically correct "law-enforcement" applicants. The fact that their only exposure to aircraft and/or airport security was as a passenger made no difference. Finally, after I groused about the absurdity of hiring politically correct applicants, I was advised to go to Bill Rogers at the TSA regarding my application. Many unreturned Bill Rogers calls later, I gave up.

The salary is too much for the politically connected to resist, particularly if they are already receiving a federal pension. Stover is correct. The oldboy network is working perfectly, with no care that these friends have zero aviation security experience.

Robert P. Fleming
Tucson, Ariz.

----------

I have tons of stories from security checkpoints in the last year, but the most recent (and in the top 3 of stupidity) was the dog I saw being wanded in TPA last week - Al Qaeda Poodle, I believe.

Whenever I get stopped at the checkpoint now, I assume the same demeanor that I remember the Persian Gulf War POWs took during their videotaped "confessions" - an emotionless, monotone in my voice. I look straight ahead, I do not make eye contact at all, unless they seem like that they are actually being courteous and professional.

I experienced the TSA Nazi's at work in CMH last week, and it seemed to me to be the same-ole-same-ole. Lotsa grandmas getting stopped, when Abdul-al-Jaber-Al Ahmed al-yayayayayayaya (or the local 7-11 owner) walked right on by. I will admit, however, it was nice to at least not see a bunch of people working on a green card.

Anyone get the new TSA Groin Check yet? You beep, they wand you, make you undo your belt (I always take mine off before the checkpoint), you show them the back of your buckle, then they want you to undo your pants slightly so they can see the back of your zipper/snap/fastener area. Saw a couple of people in CMH nearly blowing a vessel with that one - and the TSANazi never offered a private screening.

Yes, the morons are running the show...

Latest resources

Back