TSA or American Eagle...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captainAD

Seems nobody likes being employed with either one of them, but which would you choose?

Any input would be appreciated!

It depends on what you are looking for. Eagle is a better company but that killer upgrade time is what disuades a lot of people from going there. TSA, well just do a search on TSA.

A truly aweful company where you may be able to upgrade in the next 5 years vs. no hope for upgrade in the near future. There are a lot of negative threads on TSA (I worked there for almost 5 years- the crews are great, but the management is a freakin' joke who WILL ABSOLUTELY screw you whenever they can) while the biggest problems at Eagle seem to be the never ending wait for upgrade. Eagle seems a lot more stable, but if you need PIC time to get to the next step, it isn't the best choice. Trans States isn't a great choice either right now with so many downgraded captains to go with contract negotiations with a company that is most likely trying to switch over as much flying as possible to it's alter-ego GJ.

All this said, I would probably go with whichever got me a class date sooner and then bail as soon as a 3rd choice that would get some PIC in a reasonable amount of time came up. As much as people bad mouth the smaller turboprop only operators, they may be a better career choice with much quicker upgrades and PIC time years earlier. The pay sucks at first no matter where you go so you may get to the next step quicker if you chose that route. Good luck whatever you choose.

Seems nobody likes being employed with either one of them, but which would you choose?

Any input would be appreciated!

Take Skywest. haha. Between those 2 I'd take Eagle. The other guys are right on, it's a better company but longer upgrade. There must not be any FFDOs at TSA cuz one of them would have shot Hulas in the eye by now.

Eagle life is fine if you like doing walk arounds and talking to ground control.

Go to Eagle and don't look back.

Eagle.

I've been at Eagle for almost three years now and love my job immensly. I came here in my 40's and at my age I am interested in stability and quality of life. The beginning was a bit tough but once you hold a line here life is good. Reserve lines have 11 days off and hard lines up to 19 days off. I continually hold 14-15 day off lines with two-day trips.

Upgrades are nowhere in sight but there has been some movement, about twenty or more captain slots per month since July. Not much but at least it's some movement in the right direction. Once AA starts recalling, and they eventually must, the flowbacks will start leaving and you will see a nice surge upward at Eagle. Add some new planes into the mix and it will be a an explosion! If I can make captain in another few years I'd be happy to stay here until they retire me.

If you need quick PIC time it's not the place to come, but if you're willing to wait it out you will enjoy some good flying with very fair work rules, imo. CP's are very fair too and I have never been hassled for sick calls, etc.

Also, have to mention the awesome travel bennies!

IHF

Upgrade time battle goes to pretty much any regional except Eagle.

All other aspects of the job go to Eagle over pretty much any regional. Hence the reason so many people stay a while even in the right seat.

Latest resources

Back