• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ksu_aviator

GO CATS
I just got this letter from Kay Baily Hutchison of Texas:

Thank you for contacting me regarding TSA Docket Number TSA 2008-0021. I welcome your thoughts and comments on this issue.

Since 9/11, the security threat to our aviation system has continued to evolve, and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has worked to stay in front of potential risks. As a part of this effort, the TSA has proposed a rule (Docket No. 2008-021) intended to strengthen the security of large General Aviation (GA) aircraft weighing more than 12,500 pounds.

Docket No. 2008-021 would require the following: a fingerprint-based criminal history records check for flight crews; watch list matching of passengers; audits of compliance; compliance with current cargo requirements; and checks of property on board for unauthorized persons. There are also requirements for certain airports to adopt a security program.

This rulemaking is the first time many of these security requirements would be applied to GA. Consequently, it has the potential to raise costs and burdens that could severely affect the ability of businesses and private owners to operate large GA aircraft. GA plays an important role in our economy. While we must do all we can to ensure a safe and secure aviation system, policy should not unduly burden air travel and commerce.

As the Ranking Member of the Senate Commerce Committee, which has oversight over the TSA, please be assured that I am monitoring this rulemaking closely. I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison
United States Senator

284 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
202-224-5922 (tel)
202-224-0776 (fax)
http://hutchison.senate.gov

The good news here is that she is on the commerce committee AND she is against LASP...best I can tell.

Better hope this issue gets resolved before the next round of elections. It is my understanding KBH is going to Challenger Rick Perry for the Governor of Texas. I hope she cleans his clock. Thanks for the update.

Latest resources

Back