TSA is now PFT?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RAA = regional airline academy in Deland

They offer a multi-thousand dollar get an interview program ...

As they (and the Colgan guy) said - they are now the sole supplier of pilots for Colgan.

Colgan gets around 1/2 the new guys from RAA in Deland and the other 1/2 comes from Tabb Express in Deland.

Went back to Daytona a few weeks ago for the Alumni weekend, and Tab Express had a booth there showing their new airline. Flying 1900's out of Deland, and Daytona, to certain places... but to get a job there i gather you have to do all their program first.. I cringed when i saw the prices, and when i saw the gleam in the eyes of all those 20 year old kids and drooling over a 1900... sad sad i tell you.

D.Fitz says:
I talked with RAA at the ERAU career fair - they said that they were placing alot of candidates with Colgan and Trans States through an exclusive agreement. Just fork over the money for the airline transition class and you too can have an interview....

Thats something, because I spent a lot of money I dont have, to fly down to RAA and check out their Airline Transition Course for myself. This was in late October and all they said they had at the current time was Colgan which is definately PFT and I said thanks, but NO THANKS to PFT! I also commented on how much I opposed PFT and said I felt Trans States would be the next, because I know they have done it up until the late 90's. Well nothing was said to me about Trans States then or that anything was even in the works for them. They were on their list of "alliance partners" though.

I dont know how the recruiter could say they were placing ALOT of students with Trans States since 1 month ago it was 0!!

TSA Pilot says:
No they just got really picky, especially since a lot of them are becoming CQFO's they need like 3000 hours and now they are requiring a type rating or something like that. They are even picky with the low time non-cqfo's.

If that is the case why would they take the low time pilots at RAA? I have a profile of 10 RAA students that were placed with Colgan and they range in total time between 630 to 1300 and Multi-engine of 36 to 200 with none having turbine experience.

And for those considering PFT...PLEASE don't do it!! Their are some people who may not be able to afford $18,000. And when the airlines can get an abundent source of people to PFT, MORE and MORE will do it. It will be the early 90's again where it was just about standard across the board at the regionals. Lets not give back what was so difficult to get rid of several years ago, not only for yourself but for those who come after you.

And by the way, for 18,000 you can go to a part 135 cargo carrier and get 400 hours of second-in-command turbine time flying scheduled lines in a transport category aircraft. Oh, and if you add the 9,000 you'd have to pay RAA for the Airline Transition course you can get another 100! Those operators are approved for single pilot operations so you are not taking an FO position from anyone. If anyones interested send me a private message and I'll explain it more if you'd like.

Last edited:
pipejockey posted
"I also commented on how much I opposed PFT and said I felt Trans States would be the next, because I know they have done it up until the late 90's."

Trans States has never been PFT. As was posted earlier, our contract prohibits a pay for training arrangement.

I know in the past TSA had an agreement to interview RAA program participants but I have never met anyone who went through their program. I'm not saying there aren't any, I just haven't met them. I really haven't been paying much attention to the recent hiring but I haven't heard of any RAA participants being hired since interviews started again several months ago.

thanx for correcting me tsa erj. Thats what this board is all about, finding the facts through all the heresay I guess. Well if Trans States is taking RAA grads and there is no PFT, I guess thats a good thing. I'll have to call RAA and get the scoop.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back