• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TSA begins testing pilots-only security lines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are you B19 in disguise again? Most of us came from 121 backgrounds, and many were former military with very high security clearances. All of us had to go through high level background checks at our present company due to the nature of out clientelle, like embassadors, senators, governors, former and future presidents, etc.

Again.. the point is not security.

The issue is convenience.. Looks this thread started out as a CASS thread.. then the Frac guys jumped in and said what about us?!!

My point is... if you want rights to the crew access points then work for the airlines or politick the gov't.

Frac guys are passengers. If you can access the crew line and TSA doesn't give you a hard time then great! Go for it....

The concern is... one of you frac guys is going to run into Barny Fife and he is not going to let you through with your gels and liquids.. Said frac pilot will screw himself into the ceiling and ruin it for all. The TSA nationwide will be advised that frac pilots cannot go thru crew security...

Just saying... hope it doesn't happen... the point is ...do you have legal rights to access the crew security as CREW members...

As far as being treated better then the common pax, you bet. Paying over $500 for one way (eg. ICT-ORD-CMH last tour) should get some extra consideration. We pay a great deal for the "benefit" of riding in a cattle car. What's wrong with a little professional courtesy?

Professional courtesy? I also do... but riddle me this.... is the professional courtesy reciprocated?

IOW... frac guys are paying passengers, but you want crew access and professional courtesies...

Why? Cause its nice for you? Cause there are so many of you? What about the small 135 operator that doesn't have a uniform? Should he go thru crew security?

Look, I don't mind being polite and friendly to fellow pilots.. and I while despite the backlash...

Please don't misunderstand me, but is this is an example of career envy? Mainline/121 folks trying to hold on to some semblence of dignity and pride in an otherwise collapsing industry where the bosses and the customers both look down on you?

No.. this is about attitude of other frac pilots on other threads trashing and disrespecting the airlines.

We got it.. the airlines sucks. OUR AIRLINES SUCK. We live it everyday at work.. you guys live on the front end and tail end of your tour... We know the ills and experience it more often..

So why do we need some frac pilots who want crew access and professional courtesies to tell us how miserable they are on our airlines... If you don't like.... then tell your employer you will not airline....

It just doesn't sit well when SOME frac pilots disrespect the airlines then others say.. what about CASS for us... what about professional courtesies...

It wasn't too long ago that pilots used to rib each other and their companies in jest. Now we are all at each others' throats. Are we going to let those that are trying to delegate us to the janatorial level (management and union busting legal firms) further divide us?

Nope... I do my best to acknowledge and respect the frac guys... I just wish the some frac guys would do the same...

I know it is a small group of pilots... but unfortunately sometimes a few can speak for many...

I am keeping it in perspective...

Sucks to be you-for now. How long before it sucks to be me? Only difference is I and many others hope for the best for all pilots, not just a few that meet your criteria for "professional".

Do you really think the Frac owner that just paid a Pakistani to drive him from Manhattan to HPN cares that his Pakistani? The driver is just labor.

Do you really think the frac owners care want good ol' Wonder Bread White Boys flying them around? Or would a Pakistani at 33% the labor rate suffice?

We are all in for tough times... my friend....

Good point. If frac pilots are just pax and, as such, should not get CASS priviliges, why should 121 guys get those benes when not on duty? For ref, I was 121 major for over 31 years. The above was not intended to limit 121 guys, but to allow 135 people the same consideration even though they are not working in the 121 sense.

Or would a Pakistani at 33% the labor rate suffice?

Want to bet? Our owners don't pay for or expect average, let alone below average. If that is what they expected, or were willing to pay for, they would not be with us......

You need a peak down the rabbit hole. Then maybe you would understand.

Looks this thread started out as a CASS thread.. then the Frac guys jumped in and said what about us?!!
Actually, this thread is in the Fractional forum, and the only one who jumped in unwanted was you. Why are you here bitching, anyway? I don't see any of us over in your airline forums bashing you. Go back where you belong.

Screw it Rez I don't even airline in uniform. I take my shoes off and let them did around my bag watch them cancel flights,divert cause they don't have holding fuel and watch them go out of there way pissing people off. And I am truly sorry it has came to all of this. But the airlines have got to change.

Are you B19 in disguise again? Most of us came from 121 backgrounds, and many were former military with very high security clearances. All of us had to go through high level background checks at our present company due to the nature of out clientelle, like embassadors, senators, governors, former and future presidents, etc.

As far as being treated better then the common pax, you bet. Paying over $500 for one way (eg. ICT-ORD-CMH last tour) should get some extra consideration. We pay a great deal for the "benefit" of riding in a cattle car. What's wrong with a little professional courtesy?

Please don't misunderstand me, but is this is an example of career envy? Mainline/121 folks trying to hold on to some semblence of dignity and pride in an otherwise collapsing industry where the bosses and the customers both look down on you?

It wasn't too long ago that pilots used to rib each other and their companies in jest. Now we are all at each others' throats. Are we going to let those that are trying to delegate us to the janatorial level (management and union busting legal firms) further divide us?

Sucks to be you-for now. How long before it sucks to be me? Only difference is I and many others hope for the best for all pilots, not just a few that meet your criteria for "professional".

As all of you are cockpit lawyers let me give you a little "regulatory" help. (again)

Order 8000.356 is the notice that outlines the specifics of jumpseat authorization, A048 and CASS.

Rather then have me quote it, I'm going to sit back, let you find it and watch what y'all come up with.

I know the answer to all the questions here, but it's a lot more fun to watch all of you interpret the document.

Hey y'all, watch this!

There must be several different factions of pilots at NJA!! Its hard to keep up with you guys!!

Rez, I've read a lot of your posts on this thread. As usual, there will always be a few people who post things that are certainly not representative of the feelings of a group of which they are members.

NJA has nearly 3000 pilots. I doubt all of the opinions are represented accurately on FI.com.

As for the crew line stuff (I'm not NJA, but I do kinda what they do), I use it. Only so I can carry my toiletries on board, though. If they would let me do that in the "regular pax" line, I would. Many of the checkpoints do, but some don't. So I don't risk getting messed with. We go through the same TSA checks as 121 guys, so I don't see why they'd have a problem with it. Maybe I should politick a little.

Thanks for the rides, anyway!

I cannot imagine that anyone in the frax wouldn't enjoy the opty to help out some commuting 121 guy -- even if he/she helped themselves to some (previously organized) stock. More than welcome on my boat.

The fact is that we are relatively unscheduled, and cannot reciprocate in kind.

That being said, I actually prefer to travel as a regular passenger. I don't know why so many frax guys are preoccupied with this travel-in-uniform thing. I prefer incognito. It's a hoot to spend my first and last 2 - 4 hours "on duty" wearing a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops. If all I have to do is bag my personal lubricants, then it's a small price to pay.

We do... We just want the only thing left that even remotely resembles a benefit you have:

A free pass through security and a free ride on the jumpseat. Is that too much to ask?

Bwahaa....

Wolfpackpilot, are you one of those guys who was hired at NJ back when it was the place to go when you couldn't find a job? Now you're the man. Get off your high horse, I've read some of your other posts. You can have what little benefits I have when I can fly from LA to Las Vegas on your GV.

Ya'll say what you want, but if I'm on the ramp and some 121 pilot wants a ride on a dead leg then he better wake up from his snooze in the quiet room, fill up his free coffee, get a free shoe shine, use the free Scope and whatever else and hurry out. I'll take him. The only problem is the 121 guy has no idea where I'm going as we're non-scheduled.

That's the thing. All us fracs know our sched (more or less) a day before. Why can't some computer geek figure out a way to get that info out on the web. If the 121 guys knew our dead legs then we could "reciprocate". Then all problems would be solved!

Okay computer geeks. Get to work. Figure out a protocol or whatever you need to make it happen.

Latest resources

Back