TSA at work padding their income

spitfire1500

Total Time
Enough
TSA agent at work padding his income

TSA agent helped himself to a $47,900 camera (and more!)

by Scott Carmichael Oct 10th 2008 @ 10:30AM
It's no secret that I'm not a fan of the TSA. While I fully understand the importance of keeping our planes and airports safe, I'm just not sure the TSA is up to the job. The agency is also plagued by bad PR, mainly because of incompetent staff members and insane decisions that impact us as travelers.

The latest in a long lineup of bad press for the agency involves TSA screener Pythias Brown. This 48 year old resident of Maplewood, NJ was supposed to keep bad stuff off the plane, but instead, he was helping himself to valuable items from the bags of people entrusting him with their belongings.

Pythias started small, stealing cameras, laptop computers, gaming consoles and eventually moved on to the good stuff including a video camera belonging to CNN, and a $47,900 camera stored inside the bag of an HBO employee.

The items were sold on Ebay, and as you can see from his feedback listing, these were not cheap items.

His greed eventually came back to haunt him, when CNN found one of their cameras listed on Ebay. With a little help from the local police department and the USPS, Brown was apprehended.

When agents entered his house, they found 66 cameras, 31 laptop computers, jewelry, lenses, GPS devices and more.

The total value of the stolen items is well over $200,000, and if you have ever lost an expensive item when flying from Newark Liberty Airport, you'll be thrilled to hear that the TSA is taking the matter "seriously". News like this just reinforces the need to keep anything of value out of your checked bags.

Of course, this also makes me wonder just how on earth a TSA agent is able to leave the sterile area of his or her local airport with a $47,900 camera hidden in their bag. We passengers get screened, so perhaps it is time to start screening TSA staff when they enter and leave the airport?

Last edited:

IslandDriver

Total Time
The sad thing is the airline probably got blamed for the problem...not TSA. Good thing they sell the TSA locks.

At least now they look like police officers with bages and all.

I hope this guy gets to do "pat searches" in federal prision

LearLove

Total Time
12000+
in phl you always see them on the employee bus with a duffel bag. who needs a duffel bag full of stuff to work an 8 hour shift? small lunch cooler - yes, gym size duffel bag - makes you think.

it was really cool several weeks ago when i ended a four day and was on the bus back to the lot. a group of TSA and other airport workers got the bus mic and started rapping over the bus pa system.

in a 10 minute saranade I herd "bitch, fVck, and nigger" several times from the TSA rappers. professional - there was an AWAC fo on the bus with me if he is on here - maybe he can add some detail.

go!ng for broke

Banned
I love to duck!
Total Time
The sad thing is the airline probably got blamed for the problem...not TSA. Good thing they sell the TSA locks.

At least now they look like police officers with bages and all.

I hope this guy gets to do "pat searches" in federal prision
Parasite inspections on inmates would be to kind...

LearLove

Total Time
12000+
broke,

pinehurst - were they a freight hauler in PIT/BOS/CLT (among other places) and also pax in the Carolinas? DC-3's or Martins ??

Last edited:

go!ng for broke

Banned
I love to duck!
Total Time
broke,

pinehurst - were they a freight hauler in PIT/BOS/CLT (among other places) and also pax in the Carolinas? DC-3's or Martins ??
DC-3 Passenger ops that went to cargo C-47 config after loosing their a$$. It only prolonged the pain. They died in 1980 I think. That was my first aviation career. Avaition career #4 may end any day now. I can't cook either..

flynryan15

Total Time
2000+

The total value of the stolen items is well over $200,000, and if you have ever lost an expensive item when flying from Newark Liberty Airport, you'll be thrilled to hear that the TSA is taking the matter "seriously". News like this just reinforces the need to keep anything of value out of your checked bags.

This quote defines the problem!!! TSA agent steals your belongings. It is your fault for checking them! TSA agent rips a bunch of probes off of airplanes. It is American Eagle's fault for owning airplanes.
:puke:

flyboyike

Urban Legend/Rural Myth
Total Time
Pythias Brown. Well, I suppose it's better than LaShawn or Dequontay.

flyboyike

Urban Legend/Rural Myth
Total Time
Double Post.

Monster Buck

Go bigger or die trying!
Total Time
10K+
Its a good thing they got new uniforms and badges so they can be respected and looked up to.

Reebo

Still working for HK
Total Time
Pythias Brown. Well, I suppose it's better than LaShawn or Dequontay.
Would it make you feel any better if his name was Mortimer Duke, Barron Hilton or Thurston Howell III :rolleyes:

Abernathy

Truthiness
Total Time
Lots
These the same guys who don't have to go through security anymore because of their new badges?

Talk about security risk.

sqwkvfr

Baseball junkie
Total Time
a lot
I think that it's funny how all of you idiots are talking down about the TSA guys when the the first highly-publicized theft at a checkpoint was committed by a pilot.

But don't let me interrupt your God complex. Lord knows that you're better than almost everyone else.

flyboyike

Urban Legend/Rural Myth
Total Time
Would it make you feel any better if his name was Mortimer Duke, Barron Hilton or Thurston Howell III :rolleyes:
It would have been more of a surprise, for sure.

Amish RakeFight

Registered Loser
Total Time
I think that it's funny how all of you idiots are talking down about the TSA guys when the the first highly-publicized theft at a checkpoint was committed by a pilot.

But don't let me interrupt your God complex. Lord knows that you're better than almost everyone else.
Hey man, relax. Just cause your girlfriend and her mom work the TSA line doesn't mean they aren't good, honest and moral people.

flyboyike

Urban Legend/Rural Myth
Total Time