Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

The_Russian

Low Level Pilot
Ok guys, looking to get out of this boring airline flying and have some adventure and I want to pay some school debt off. I also want to finish my degree (and have them pay for it). I am trying to decide between three options of joining the military to fly. I am currently a Captain at Gulfstream in FLL, 2 years of a 4 year degree completed, 20/30 left eye and 20/20 right eye, about 2000 hours total.

#1- Full active duty warrant officer helo.

#2- Reserve warrant officer helo (is this really just a logistics job?)

#3- Guard enlisted at a base to finish degree and then try for a guard slot.

I have to intent of staying reserve/guard until retirement along with returning to the airlines. If you guys have any other suggestions throw them out there, thanks!

Heard of the Navy's Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program (BDCP)? Best gig going for folks in your situation. If you're interested in Active duty flying for the 'Nav, contact your regional Officer Programs Officer (OPO). Any Navy enlised recruiting station should be able to give you his number. Navy basically pays you active duty pay while you finish your college degree (E-3 pay, I think), and then, when you graduate, you have a guaranteed contract for OCS in whatever field you're initially accepted. Best o' luck...

Try Baseops.net. plenty of people pursuing ANG and AFRES slots over there. Here's a track a few have taken in my unit.

Enlist as a boomer/Loadmaster/Crewchief. Basically someone who interacts with / is aircrew.

Use The resources of UncleSam GI Bill / Tuition Asst, On Base degree programs to get/finish your degree.

Build flight time/get Certificates. Sounds like you already have this done.

Don't be a stick in the mud. Interview for a UPT slot. Become pilot.

Spend remaining 10 years in Middle East. Just kidding

This is not an easy road, and requires much dedication on your part. You basically will have three jobs. Student, Civilian, and Military. But it is doable.

I'll give my 2 cents worth; take it or leave it. First, I just got off AD AF (C-130s to Pope) and joined the USAF Reserve. Why? The last 3 years of my life were 4mos deployed (Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, etc), 4 mos at home (recurrency, checkrides, TDY), repeat indefinitely. Now that's 130s, other airframes aren't gone as much. Got off AD to have a real life, and reacquaint with some woman living in my house (I think she's my wife). My reserve unit is getting mobilized, but only for 1 year; that I can handle. Point being, you've got a job, keep it. You can serve your country and get your kicks other ways rather than active duty.

Again, personal opinion, I wouldn't want to go in the Army right now. Those guys are deployed more than us, and their flying is a lot more dangerous. Utmost respect for what they do, just not my bag.

Go Reserve or Guard. You can keep your job and still serve. However, if you aren't offered a full-time job (ART, AGR), the $$ can be a little tight if you try to bum. The war is hitting a lot of unit's budgets.

Point being, for me, it's about a mix of serving and quality of life. Wasn't getting the latter on active duty, so I made a move. Lots of rambling, sorry. Write back if you have questions.

Thanks for all your responses guys. Good info for me to take in.

Next problem. I cannot pass the PIP test. I can pass the FALANT test with no problems. Also, the shade test ( not sure of the name ), I can pass that with a 99% (score on my FAA waiver). How will this affect me with the ANG? I read that the AF has dropped the FALANT test, and that they dropped all other alternate tests. I have also been told by eye doctors that I am not colorblind, I just can't pass the standard test (PIP).

Thanks again guys!

I think there is a military PFT program you could look into, It's like 40k for 100 hours of f-16 backseat time.

As far as the medical stuff you can get a waiver for just about anything, you just need a unit to hire you first.

I think there is a military PFT program you could look into, It's like 40k for 100 hours of f-16 backseat time.

First off, thanks for just trashing this very informative thread like that. Second off, you don't even know if I PFT'ed or not, because you don't know me. For you information, I will tell you that I did because I am not ashamed of it. But now you have gone and attracted all the flamebait to this thread while I am trying to get some serious answers. I have worked very hard to get where I am and I plan to continue that hard work into the military, if I can get some info squared away and make a decision.

I can't even get a dam word out on this board without someone making a childish comment about my background.

I didn't mean to trash...just know you can't pay your way through the military...Fair warning given.

With that I can still answer your question that you can definetly get a waiver for (almost) any medical issue...espeically eye stuff. My buddy failed his eye exam after he hooked his T-1 nav check and ended up washing back about a year, but they still got him a waiver for that damn depth perception test. I figure if you can fly tweet formation you have to have some kind of depth perception.

Latest resources

Back