Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Resume Writer

Hi Everyone,

One of my resume writer friends, Lori Norris here in PHX knew the pilot, Major Troy Gilbert, who crashed in Iraq. She forwarded me this letter from her friend, Jill Willis. Jill's husband Matt is an F-16 Instructor at Luke.

They are collecting funds to help Troy's family. I can try to find out more information if you would like, but there is an address where you can mail a check if you would like.

This is legitimate - so please do not worry. If you are concerned, I would suggest calling and asking for Matt Willis at Luke AFB.

I hope everyone can be in the holiday spirit and help this family.

Here is the letter:

Dear Family and Friends,

I'm not sure that all of you have heard the news, but a very close friend of Matt and I was the F16 pilot who crashed in Iraq on Monday. As of right now, he is still listed as "whereabouts unknown." What that means is when the military was finally able to reach the crash site, they were unable to locate Troy. What they do know is that Troy was on a combat mission to help support our American troops on the ground during a fire fight. Troy was not comfortable dropping a bomb (since so many American troops were in harms way), and decided to go in low and use the guns on his airplane. During this low level attack something went extremely wrong and Troy's airplane nose dived into a farm field. At first they were unsure Troy ever tried to eject, but have later learned (or suspect) that he did eject only it was not successful. His wing men circling above the crash site have said they could see the Iraq militants swarming the crash site, but could not engage them for fear that Troy might still have been alive. When the ground troops were finally able to come in and secure the crash site, Troy's body was gone. They were however able to collect some remains and are in the process of DNA testing. We should hear more by tomorrow.

Troy was a student of Matt's out here at Luke back in 2000/01 and returned as an Instructor Pilot (same as Matt) right before we did. He is a wonderful husband and a very proud father of five children. Some of you might remember (when you thought I looked like I was having twins when I was pregnant with Madi) that I said I couldn't be because that already happened to a friend of mine. Well, that friend was Ginger (and Troy), they had twin girls (kids #4 & 5) March of last year. Please keep Ginger and her five children in your thoughts and prayers. She is praying that no matter what, Troy is able to come home. I know some of you have asked if there is anything you can do. Well, there has been a trust fund set up for the family. So if you are interested in making a donation to them you can send a check payable to the "Gilbert Family." Below is the information on where to send it. Please pass it along. There's no way the amount of money she will receive from the Air Force will ever be enough to raise five children. She will need all the help she can get. I thank you in advance and know that you will keep her in your thoughts and prayers. I will keep you updated.

Thanks, Jill

Make donations to

Checks payable to "Gilbert Family"

Fighter Country Partnership

500 N. Estrella Parkway

Suite B/2 PMB #479

Goodyear, AZ 85338

Latest resources

Back