True measure of your airline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lampshade

The true measure of your airline is based on how well the crews tip the van drivers. Its interesting to share the van with other airlines and see how much and who tips. Does any airline recommend tipping or is it an unwritten rule? Anyone have any comments?

It's probably safe to say that the hotel van drivers make more money than some of the crewmembers they transport. With that being said, tips are an unnecessary financial burden to many pilots. I, however, have always tipped even when I knew it was taking food off my table. To earn my tip though, I have some specific criteria:
  • the van arrives on schedule
  • the driver opens the door
  • my luggage is loaded
  • room keys are availible in the van (if policy permits)
  • the driver drives safely
  • the driver stops the van at the hotel entrance nearest my room
  • the driver unloads my bags, attaches my flight case, and raises the handle
I'll tip a couple of bucks if all of the above is considered. If the driver is late (fault of his own), he gets $0.

I'll tip 3 per crewmember. PIC tips outside the plane SIC tips inside the plane.

Of course I spend about 20 bucks a day in tips, but the company encourages tips and reemburses us for them.

If the guy does a good job and waits for us for a long time or goes out of his way to make sure we get picked up i'll make it worth his time.

Had a driver last night that waited for us while we screwed around with paperwork. i made sure that he could buy himself a couple of drinks when we were done.

I usually only have $100's in my wallet, since I fly for Eagle, so they're outta luck. All kidding aside, I tip if they're on time and load/unload my bags. Our company says our whopping $1.35/hr per diem should be used for tipping. Uh, ok. Here's a tip: Don't tell me how to spend MY money!

I've never seen a crew member including flight attendents not give a buck to the van driver every single day. No sh1t.

Just call me Jet-trash

I'm with proptrash. I tip for good service. When the driver is good he/she gets a couple of bucks. If he is rude/unsafe/unfriendly/or it took three calls, he's SOL.
Some hotels seem to make it their objective to take care of crewmembers and their people get tipped. Some others seem to take the crewmembers for granted and the drivers that reflect that attitude get nothing.

In general, hotels around LaGarbagia stink.

regards

I tip more times than not. I figure what the heck, at least it's tax deductible.

This is a true story. I noticed for awhile that new flight attendants were not tipping. At one point we were disembarking from the hotel van and as I gave my dollar, the flight attendnt was looking at me uneasy. I asked her about it (perhaps she thought I was a serial rapist, or something). She told me in training that the company had actually told them that the FO's were supposed to tip on her behalf. Needless to say I tripped over the curb and almost fell flat on my face while trying to explain to her the utter nonsense in that. You don't have to tip, that's your perogitive, but don't expect someone to tip on your behalf.

Another flight attendant told me she didn't tip because van drivers made more money than she did. I told her to go become a van driver then, but that was a stupid reason.

How many times has a van driver steered (no pun intended) to a good restaurant, bar, nightclub, etc.?

Delta FA's are don't have to tip at many hotels as the company includes the tip with the van/limo contract.... no such luck for the pilots.

Tipping

Well, those who are tight on tipping are people who never worked for tips, having worked as a cap driver in college the driver can really form an option of his passengers based upon the tips, you do recognize those regulars who tip and try to make it pleasant as possible for them. Everyone should give at least a $1.00 per bag that the driver touches or attempts to touch. If the driver does something exceptional, increase the tip and tell them why you increased the tip. hw will tend to do the same in the future, like dropping yopu by the hotel room etc. Don't go negative on the driver there are so many things over which he has little control, and you can never tell he might be your boss someday when you are between jobs.

FlyingSig said:
Delta FA's are don't have to tip at many hotels as the company includes the tip with the van/limo contract.... no such luck for the pilots.

WTFO?
It never ceases to amaze me when I hear some of the things Delta Airlines spends money on, but then turns around and asks the pilot groups for concessions and denies contract improvements (or furloughs illegally) based on "financial strain".

Latest resources

Back