Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

smellthejeta

The plane I solo'd in
Now that Air Wisconsin is taking over the UAX flying at IAD, I decided to humor myself and go interview for ground staff positions that they have open.

Sometime, interviewers ask plane out dumb questions that invite lies or suggest a scripted answer where it is obvious that "the truth" is not the appropriate answer.

First hand, I now feel the frustration a pilot has when he has to start over at a new company, even within the same "system." It flat out sucks to be told that your experience, knowledge, and training will bring you absolutely nothing extra.

At my first airline job, the interview was non existent (touch tone prescreen, no live "in person" questions) and really just a pulse check. This time around, the interview was actually quite legit. Having experience in this industry makes it rather amusing to listen to the "fluff" and the slant HR puts on things. This woman wasn't too bad, actually. A little better than ACA putting ads in the Wash Post advertising their "United Express" affiliation.

To start, Whisky's ground staff took concessions just like every other labor group. They advertise a rate of something like $9.42 per hour, but in reality it will be $9.25 per hour because of the contract concessions.

She asks me how many days I called in sick this year, and I made up some smal number. To be honest, if I admit to using the company's allowed sick time, I get in trouble. However, my company DOES offer sick time as a "benefit" and I should be able to make full use of my benefits.

Another question she asked me was "tell me about a time you were short staffed." I believe I told her that I could tell her about a time when we actaully had full staff. Like the day after 9/11 and then management gave out voluntary leave and we were back to being short again. Or the best answer I could come up with: "we did absolutely nothing, because if we made all of our bags and on-times, then management would think we could do just fine with the short staff and that would now become the status quo.

The NRSA flying benefits are all fine and good, on $9/hr, affording a hotel room is difficult. After 9/11, security no longer allows an NRSA to sleep at an airport, so making use of those NRSA travel benefits becomes more difficult.

Then, having seen my resume, she asks, " are you comfortable with the physical requirements?" Uh, look lady. That would be an unqualified yes.

Oh, and if I ever hear the words "we pay competitive for the regional airline industry" one more time, I'm gonna scream.

Anything else to add?

Interviews should be a get-to-know-you type of thing. Anyone reading off a notecard shouldn't be interviewing. It's getting a feel for someone.

Interviews

labbats said:
Interviews should be a get-to-know-you type of thing. Anyone reading off a notecard shouldn't be interviewing . . . .
But that's what many of these cretins do. They interview according to a prescribed set of questions and check off the squares, as it were, as they receive the answers. They do not attempt to truly meet the interviewee. They are looking for a certain profile. No exceptions permitted. What they do not realize is that many of the "exceptions" are extremely competent and loyal people, who are grateful just to have been interviewed, and who would be even more grateful to be given the job.

Finally, one of my favorites is being a long-time employee of a particular company who expresses interest in a better position within that company, and being invited to "apply" for that position. Talk about a slap in the face for your loyalty.

labbats said:
Interviews should be a get-to-know-you type of thing. Anyone reading off a notecard shouldn't be interviewing. It's getting a feel for someone.
Having been on both sides of the table, I quite agree.

The qualifications are almost beside the point, you shouldn't be there if you're not able to do the job. The key is to find out if you and the employer are compatable.

It took me awhile to figure that out, and I hired the wrong people a few times until a friend of mine who had a whole lot more experience than I did in this gave me some thoughts on his experience over lunch.

She asks me how many days I called in sick this year, and I made up some smal number. To be honest, if I admit to using the company's allowed sick time, I get in trouble. However, my company DOES offer sick time as a "benefit" and I should be able to make full use of my benefits. [/B]

Why did I give back all those unused "sick days" all those years? Oh yeah, I thought they were available in case I got sick. Silly me!

Could the attitude shown above be the reason why so many companies are getting away from sick/vacation/holidays and offering a package of personal days that's smaller than the sum of the old package?

Re: Re: true but "wrong" interview answers

rettofly said:
Why did I give back all those unused "sick days" all those years? Oh yeah, I thought they were available in case I got sick. Silly me!

Could the attitude shown above be the reason why so many companies are getting away from sick/vacation/holidays and offering a package of personal days that's smaller than the sum of the old package?

Fine with me. Since I rarley get sick enough to "really" call in, and I have a choice between two weeks sic/ two weeks vac, or three weeks "personal time," I'll take the three weeks. Or, I would like the ability to sell my sick time back to the company. But to simply dangle it out as a carrot and then "bust" people for using it is wrong, imho.

AT most big corporations, the interviews often consist of a pre-scripted verbal questionnaire. Sometimes the applicant's answers are even written down verbatim. Interviewers are discouraged from deviating from an approved list of questions. This makes it hard for an interviewer to really "feel somebody out."

You can thank lawyers for this interview method. This way,the company can show that each interviewee was asked precisely the same quesions, and better defend themselves against any claim of discrimination in their hiring practices.

Latest resources

Back