trip assurance!!?? wtf?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

7574EVER

I was talking to a friend of mine that asked me if I had ever heard of an airline called AirTran. She said she was scared to fly on them because she had never heard of them. I assured her it was perfectly safe but asked why she bought the tickets if she was uneasy. She replied that they were the cheapest she could find on Orbitz. I rolled my eyes as soon as she wasn't looking. THEN she informed me that she also got "trip assurance" as well. She said it's something new that orbitz is offering. If you book a ticket and the prices come down, you will recieve a refund check in the mail for the difference of your ticket and the new lower price.

I thought ticket prices were just starting to go up and this industry MIGHT have a future in the next 5-10 years. Then I find this out.

the "trip insurance" that she bought is a bunch of crap. there is a LAW called the "guaranteed airfare rule".

If you find a lower price for the same flights, the airlines have to by law refund you the difference. You have to do all the leg work though.

the "trip insurance" that she bought is a bunch of crap. there is a LAW called the "guaranteed airfare rule".

If you find a lower price for the same flights, the airlines have to by law refund you the difference. You have to do all the leg work though.

Hmm I had no idea that law existed. I guess orbitz is just charging to do the leg work for you then.

Airtran offers "Trip Protector" when you make a reservation. It is basically insurance for non-refundable fares. Here is the blurb from their website..

Protect yourself from unforeseen expenses caused by sickness, injury or other covered causes that impact your travel plans. If you need to cancel or interrupt your trip for a covered reason, Stonebridge Casualty Insurance, Inc., will cover your forfeited, non-refundable ticket costs and/or change fees plus $300 travel delay reimbursement and $100 delayed baggage reimbursement. Coverage may be purchased up to 24 hours following your ticket purchase and is available only to U.S. and Canadian Residents. Some limitations and exclusions apply.

Latest resources

Back