• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trilateral Cabatoge-US/Mexico/Canada

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NAFTA will open up the holes needed to allow cabatoge between the three North American countries, Mex/Canada/ and the US.

Read the below excerpts of what NAFTA is already doing to America.

America’s relationship with its North American neighbors rarely gets the attention it warrants. In the more than a decade since the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) took effect, ties among Canada, Mexico, and the United States have deepened dramatically.

At their meeting in Waco, Texas, at the end of March 2005, U.S. President George W. Bush, Mexican President Vicente Fox, and Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin committed their governments to a path of cooperation and joint action.

Deepening ties among the three countries of North America promise continued benefits for Canada, Mexico, and the United States. That said, the trajectory toward a more integrated and prosperous North America is neither inevitable nor irreversible.

Our economic focus should be on the creation of a common economic space that expands economic opportunities for all people in the region, a space in which trade, capital, and people flow freely.

Last edited:
Then after open skies are approved between the US/Mexico/ and Canada, the Europeans sign an open skies deal with Canada or Mexico. Fly from Europe hubbing in Montreal or Mexico City and continuing on domestically within US Airspace legally.

CABATOGE!!!

Since the European Commission has indicated its willingness to enter into separate negotiations with countries that are prepared to negotiate a "fully liberalized" aviation environment, such an open skies agreement with EU may be possible. Given that the United States had signed separate open skies agreements with 67 countries as of October 2004, there is a real risk that international traffic to and from Canada will be routed increasingly via U.S. hub airports, especially as snags in implementing new Canada-U.S. border security procedures have eased. The only way to prevent such traffic diversion is to make direct air travel between Canada and foreign countries more convenient and inexpensive. This, of course, can be accomplished by signing open skies agreements with most of the countries with which the United States has open skies. It also entails a fundamental change in attitude on the part of Canada's international air policy makers and executers. They need to abandon the notion that restrictive bilateral agreements (a foreign carrier is denied the opportunity to expand its services or launch new routes if a Canadian carrier cannot make money on the route) will somehow protect uncompetitive Canadian carriers' interests in the long run. This protectionist policy prolonged the uncompetitive situation for Air Canada and, before its demise, of Canadian Airlines while inflicting major costs on the traveling public and harming Canada's wider economic interests (tourism and related industries, corporate location choices, etc.). Such a policy did not protect either Canadian Airlines or Air Canada from becoming uncompetitive, allowing them to stare into the abyss of bankruptcy. We observe that Air Canada is fixing things fundamentally only after getting a real competitive assault from WestJet. WestJet seems to be the best medicine for Air Canada's chronic disease.

Last edited:
Plus, if an airline operation had less restrictions in Mexico or Canada the operating certificate could be based elsewhere to take advantage of those lower standards.

Just like the cruise industry does basing its ships in Libya, Nigeria, etc.

It certainly looks that way....and the politicians (both Reps and Dems) will ensure the laws/rules trump any ALPA demands.

This is not fiction. It is really happening.

I really don't see US citizens flying Aeromexico from Des Moines to Ft Meyers. If Westjet invades the States and tries something, I have a feeling Southwest will start Toronto to Vancouver service, hurting Air Canada and Westjet in the process too. Look what happens when a new carrier like Virgin America wants to start service from SFO---Southwest and Jetblue simultaniously announced new service from there. I don't think the legacies or the US LCCs will be that passive. I think it will be hammertime on the new enrants.

Hi!

I have heard that, in general, pilots in Latin America are paid more than in N. America.

Also, there are no excess pilots in L. America (the US is basically the ONLY place left in the world with excess pilots).

I'm concerned, but I'm more concerned about unsafe Mexican trucks being allowed on US highways, which is WAY ahead of the flying stuff.

cliff
YIP

Hi!

I have heard that, in general, pilots in Latin America are paid more than in N. America.

Also, there are no excess pilots in L. America (the US is basically the ONLY place left in the world with excess pilots).

I'm concerned, but I'm more concerned about unsafe Mexican trucks being allowed on US highways, which is WAY ahead of the flying stuff.

cliff
YIP

Not totally true. Mexican pilots make about the same as their contemporaries at UA, AA, etc. Mexicana hasn't hired a pilot in the past 8 years or so, and only the new start ups (Volaris etc.) are hiring.

The Mexicana pilots area great group of guys though.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back