• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TriCoastal Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The worst combination: A company owner with one eye always on the bottom line, who also flies. $ always trumps judgement.

ACT700 said:
Also, TB, Tahir finally got it because he was greedy--nothing else. I've flown with him and seen him work.
T.C. was a very competent pilot, and an even better businessman. However, when it came to making aeronautical vs. financial decisions, $$$ was always the deciding factor.
I'll concede that "greed" was at least a contributing factor.

Also, just because none of the accidents have not been deemed mx errors, does not mean mx was not at fault.
After SDF was shutdown, maintenance definitely went down hill, but nothing major enough to bring down an airplane in the hands of a competent pilot. IMHO

But I don't buy that whole fuel imbalance theory crashing the Metroliner thing. Me either.

A big part of the problem was hiring eager young pilots, desperate for a job, that were just as eager to keep their jobs. I was one of them. in 6+ years, I lost 2 PA-60 engines, shutdown 3 Metro engines and 1 in the Falcon. Total loss of hydraulics twice in the Metro and once in the Falcon. Too many landing gear problems to count, electrical fires, and the list goes on. I finally learned how and when to say "no". Some people never did. The only accident where I thought that maintenance might be to blame was 183GA in Toledo. I had the unfortunate task of working with the NTSB and FAA on the accident investigation and while I didn't (and still don't) completely agree with their findings, I am confident that it wasn't a maintenance issue. I wish I could say it was...it would help clear up questions that still bother me.
As far as the the Metro earlier this year; a 600-700 # imbalance (bad gauges) on rotation feels just like you've had a V1 cut and you have to be quick and correct in your reactions. A fuel imbalance at 16,000 feet doesn't just "suddenly" happen. They don't have autopilots so there is nothing to mask a worsening imbalance. Turning coordinated 360's isn't the way to fix the problem. Open the cross-flow, step on the rudder of the heavy wing and dip the light wing...pretty simple and not something that causes a plane to crash.

Latest resources

Back