Travolta is new Qantas First Officer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
New hire Vinnie Barbarino

As much as I loathe P-F-T (see my post above) and other high-end monetary schemes pilots will use to try to cut in line, I did not get the impression at all that Travolta had been hired.

Notwithstanding his quals, which might get him an interview had he not paid for his time, I do feel very strongly that Travolta wearing a uniform, even only to promote the airline for advertising, is a sham and insult to real airline pilots and those of us who tried but failed but for luck and for not wanting to stoop to P-F-T. :(

I do not intend in any way to launch another P-F-T debate.

Last edited:
Bobbysamd: you must be kidding. Like an airline uniform is sacred? I've got a closet full....you want some? J.T. earned type ratings in many airplanes. He deserves to wear a uniform just as much as you or me.

And when is paying for training too much...Just after solo?

This is life and each of us must do what we think is best to get ahead. Nobody promised me anything.......quit whining and go find a flying job.

Oh by the way, you paid for my type rating, wia money....thank you very much.

You quit trying....live with or get over it.

Last edited:
Other destinations will include Sydney, Melbourne and Perth in Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, London, Rome, Paris, Frankfurt and New York.

Maybe he can grab a "Royale with cheese" on his way through Paris...

:D

WIA v. P-F-T

If you were a furloughee, I was happy to pay for your type with my tax dollars. 911 and the economy gave you a raw deal. So, my friend, you're more than welcome.

P-F-T is not the same as WIA. WIA, as you well know, is intended for pilots who were displaced by such things as furloughs. On the other hand, P-F-T is not federally-subsidized. It's privately funded and voluntary. It degrades pilots. It is groveling, for openers. Pilots are professionals and you fit in that category. No other industry of which I am aware can force qualified people, i.e., professionals, to pay for a job and/or interview.

John Travolta commands a large fee as an actor. He's worth it. He has the talent and the name. I suppose that if I commanded his wage I could go out and buy myself a handful of type ratings. Anyone can do that if they have the bucks. The issue turns on if in so doing he deserves to wear an uniform. I feel it is a misrepresentation. I don't believe that John Travolta has flown one hour as an airline pilot. Furthermore, I don't recall any movies in which he portrayed an airline pilot.

I'm not whining. I've played the cards I was dealt. Read some of my other posts about my efforts to find an airline job.

Last edited:
There was an article about him a few years ago in Town & Country magazine that showed him in his custom Armani pilot uniform.

It seemed pretty pretentious and silly that an owner-pilot would dress up in a airline uniform, much less one made by Armani, and fly around in his own airplane!

Professional Pilot magazine also did an article on him 2-3 years ago.

I guess Doctors and lawyers don't pay for training........It's the the law of supply and demand. A year ago I would not have considered pay for training. If someone offered me a decent job now I would look at it as an investment in my future.

The key there is MY FUTURE, not yours. I will do whats best for me.

I know things will work out. They will work out for you too if you want them bad enough.

**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** I'm glad to live in the USA.

I do wish the best for you.

If you do a search at faa.gov you will see that Mr. Travolta is a private pilot with CE-500 G-1159 HS-125 LR-JET type ratings. The CE-500 has a VFR only restriction.

Airline pilot? I don't think so.

Lawyer training v. Pilot P-F-T

I do have knowledge about that subject. The short answer is "no." Lawyers do not P-F-T.

Lawyers go to law school. They pay for that, certainly, just as I and, I'm sure, you, paid for your flight training. Companies who have P-F-T require new-hire pilots to pay for that training. Typically, that training is esoteric. It is useless outside that company. After finishing law school, most lawyers are hired by lawfirms and are taught by their firms the nuts and bolts of practicing law. There is some training involved and all along they're gaining experience. That training will always serve them. But, the point herein is they pay not a cent for that training or experience. Quite the contrary, in fact; the starting pay for new associates here in Denver is no less than $35K and at the big firms can exceed $100K. There are some lawyers who open their own firms after they graduate from law school and learn as they go. As you can see, there's no P-F-T in law. Medicine is similar. So are most other professions except aviation.

By the way, DC8Driver, I appreciate your offer of uniforms. I would have jumped for joy to have been given the opportunity to earn the right to wear one.

I guess I don't understand some logic regarding PFT. The man went out and spent his money on an airplane, went to school to learn to fly it, and then sold it and moved onto something bigger and better. Why is that considered PFT? Because he wears a uniform?

He has as much right to wear a uniform as the pilots he employs. They all are equally as qualified and share the flying responsibilities. Just because he's at the top of the food chain for his airplane, doesn't mean he's a PFT'er.

Latest resources

Back