Traveling with guitar?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Northern Lights

I know that people bring thier guitars as carry on all the time, but I've never paid any attention to what they do with it once on board. Do they fit in the overhead? Do you have to strap it into a seat?

I have an acoustic in a soft sided case that I would like to take with me, but I'm not sure what the routine is.

I'm in the process of slowly moving into domicile... One bag at a time.

Thanks,

N.L.

hard case, not the gig bag and check it thru, it's how I carry mine and I insure it too

you better hard case it or the rampies will break it

almost guaranteed, and if they don't, the baggage smashing machines will

Carry it on........ put it in the overhead. I do it all the time with Les Pauls and my SG (in HSC) on SWA. I wouldn't check a good guitar unless it was in an ATA road case.

I have an Ovation that fits into the overheads with the soft side case. Just watch for the putz who decides to cram their backpack or 21" travel suitcase by wedging it around your guitar! Aircraft with a hang-up closet work well also.

I had mine in a hard case on an America West flight once...checked it...got it back with a huge dent in the case. PTL the guitar was okay. But hey, I came out ahead... I got a coupon for a free headset rental the next time I fly. :rolleyes: Whoop-de-freakin'-doo! Thank you America West.

Northern Lights said:
I know that people bring thier guitars as carry on all the time, but I've never paid any attention to what they do with it once on board.

I fly with my Baby Taylor in a soft-case unless I'm scheduled to dead-head. I keep it in the coat closet up front.

I usually detune it a whole step to keep the string tension from changing too much with altitude (don't know how much good it does, but I got the advice many years ago).

I wouldn't check a good guitar unless it was in an ATA road case.
And in a good road case, too. Not one of those $99 Ebay specials, which, as friend carrying a 1963 hardtail (no trem) Strat found out, will not hold up to rampie abuse. :(

Minh

After trying about 8 models and brands, I settled on The Alvarez MF80c. It is the best sounding of all that I looked at (all under $1500) and with a gig bag it fits in a CRJ overhead. It is a 15/16 cutaway. Great action.

As far as detuning goes, I've spoken with several luthier/pilots and they all say the same thing. De-tune if you're going to check it (with a really good hard case please) because of the rough handling. The altitude thing is a myth. the other time to de-tune is when you go from warm to cold very fast. Strings contract and you get warping or worse. Let the guitar gradually adjust temp.

Latest resources

Back