travel to Islamabad and Dhaka

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ww2flyer

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Fistly thanks for any replies as I am doing some research for an immenent trip to Islamabad and Dhaka.

I've mentioned this trip to friends and they have all winced, I will be flying a Gulfstream to these two spots quite regularly and would like to get as much info as possible.

The info I require is experience on handling, fuel, safety and what they are like to deal with at these airports. I am obviously going to use resources such as Universal but I would like to hear some experiences.

Thanks again
[/font]

probably saw this already but in the off chance you didn't

Date: 02/2005
: Pakistan City: Islamabad
ICAO: OPRN Airport Name: Chaklala Aircraft: Gulfstream 200
Feedback: Handling was by Executive Air Intl Svcs dba/ Shaheen Airport Svcs (SAPS) arranged by Universal. We arrived a little after midnight ATC was good and handlers performance was good. Then the day before departure went back out to aircraft to fuel which was prearranged through SAPS but, getting through security took a copy of our outbound gen dec and 40 minutes of screening. Then two more hours to receive all services needed but, handler stood by along with four armed airport supplied guards. We parked in Spot 5 for four days until day of departure then repositioned to Spot 1A in front of Rawal Lounge VVIP departures. We were able to depart from Spot 1A with no problems. Stayed at Marriott a 40 minute drive but, was well fortified with armed security and an airport x-ray machine. Free Wi-Fi in lobby and used Marriott for catering, as well.

Last edited:
Not sure which direction you are headed to/from Dhaka, but a few years ago while under Yangon control well to the S-SE of Dhaka we did our standard offset 1 mile right of the airway track and were glad we did. We saw a 747 pass co-altitude, on the same airway, opposite direction... (I always offset in parts of the world where ATC is questionable) VGZR itself wasn't too bad, for a third world country, although there was a guy walking his goat in between the runway and the parallel taxiway when we landed. Bring your own bottled water if you can - we heard of some westerners getting really sick on the local bottled water...

OPRN is definitely a security risk, but overall servicing wasn't that bad. Check the enroute charts for notes about contacting the next FIR prior to entry. (10-15 mins) Although they haven't threatened to lob nukes between India and Pakistan recently, tensions can run high from time to time...

Good Luck

thanks for both of your replies, I will be heading from North America over the Pole to Helsinki, Islamabad and then Dhaka. With out getting into the specifics it will be a great experience as it could be happening upto seven times a month.

As for your off sets is there any consideration as to whether you off set to the left or right? I have done this before especially in russian airspace!

Thanx

When offsetting due to questionable ATC, I always offset to the right of course (up to 1.0NM) As far as I know, there isn't anything written anywhere that condones or authorizes this practice, it just is an informal technique used by a number of operators. (The convention being that everyone offsets to the right of track so that there isn't a conflict with opposite direction traffic) With GPS, everyone is right on the black line (vs. the INS drift/course inaccuracy of years gone by) which causes more head-on conflicts than previously. With everyone on or to the right of the black line, a little safety margin is added. Obviously it is an entirely different animal when you enter wx or wake turbulence deviations into the equation (as described in oceanic guidance)

RampFreeze said:
When offsetting due to questionable ATC, I always offset to the right of course (up to 1.0NM) As far as I know, there isn't anything written anywhere that condones or authorizes this practice, it just is an informal technique used by a number of operators. (The convention being that everyone offsets to the right of track so that there isn't a conflict with opposite direction traffic) With GPS, everyone is right on the black line (vs. the INS drift/course inaccuracy of years gone by) which causes more head-on conflicts than previously. With everyone on or to the right of the black line, a little safety margin is added. Obviously it is an entirely different animal when you enter wx or wake turbulence deviations into the equation (as described in oceanic guidance)

What about those pilots who drive on the left they may offset to the left. England comes to mind...???

Latest resources

Back