• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

Lawsuit filed over emergency landing at O'Hare

September 1, 2010 2:06 PM | No Comments

A woman is suing American Airlines, saying she was traumatized when an American Airlines plane ran off the runway at O'Hare International Airport in 2008.

Jewel Thomas, of Bellevue, Wash. says she has suffered severe mental and emotional problems.
The Boeing 757 was flying from Seattle to New York when it made an emergency landing at O'Hare. No physical injuries were reported among the passengers or crew.

In a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday, Thomas contends the plane was experiencing electrical problems and was on a backup battery. She says the flight crew should have diverted sooner to another airport before the battery ran out and key systems were crippled.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages. A spokesperson for American was not immediately available for comment.

-- Associated Press

They needed to land at O'hare so they could catch a flight home.

J.K. :) Just another miserable person who will try to make a quick buck. She probably already had mental problems.

If there was truly any 'justice' left in our 'Justice System' this gold-digger would be reimbursing AA for legal expenses after the judge tosses this frivolous suit out.

In a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday, Thomas contends the plane was experiencing electrical problems and was on a backup battery. She says the flight crew should have diverted sooner to another airport before the battery ran out and key systems were crippled.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages. A spokesperson for American was not immediately available for comment.

-- Associated Press

Wonder how she figured out they were flying on the backup battery and needed to divert? Not every day on of your passengers could have helped you prevent a runway excursion with her vast technicial knowledge.

I think I'm going to sue her for wasting three minutes of my life and annoying the bejeezus out of me.

Unlike her, I have real damages!

Without any physical injury to anchor her claims of emotional trauma her case will be dismissed.

As Ty Webb points out, if emotional distress were actionable, we would see lawsuits originating from anything that upset anybody regardless of how reasonable that fear was or whether there was any actual harm.

Without any physical injury to anchor her claims of emotional trauma her case will be dismissed.

As Ty Webb points out, if emotional distress were actionable, we would see lawsuits originating from anything that upset anybody regardless of how reasonable that fear was or whether there was any actual harm.

I was pretty emotionally distraught with the LOST finale.

Any chance I gotta case? :p

Latest resources

Back